 LEGO Company / 3116
3115  |  3117
Subject:
Announcing LEGO Ambassadors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.lego.announce
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:01:17 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

For more than a year, I’ve been working with colleagues and community members to develop a pretty cool new program. For the 4 years I’ve been at the LEGO Company, my task has been to work together with colleagues and fans to bridge the void between them. To try to connect colleagues with fans, and bring the fans into the company.

It’s working.

In fact, it’s working so well, that I’m getting a bit overwhelmed. You certainly recall that we invited a group of AFOLs into the LEGO Factory design process (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=2588). We’ve also invited groups of fans into a number of other projects in the last couple years, and in 2004 that number leap up. In 2005 it looks like that number is going to grow even further. Each time we work on one of these projects, it’s a new NDA. It’s a new selection of fans. It’s a new introduction into the company for them.

So in the last year, I’ve been asking myself: “What happens if we had a group of people who were already under NDA? What if there is a group of fan representatives that could work side-by-side with LEGO employees? What if that group of representatives is also able to bring up issues from the community directly with the right people in the company?”

So with extraordinary amounts of help from a group of AFOLs and support from many colleagues internally, the LEGO Ambassador Program was born.

The LEGO Ambassadors will be a small group of fans who have applied and been accepted into the program. They will represent the best and the brightest AFOLs on the planet. Sort of a Top Gun of LEGO! To help clarify, I’ve broken down some FAQs:

What is the LEGO Ambassadors Program?
The LEGO Ambassador Program is a community based program made up of adult LEGO hobbyists who share their product and building expertise with the world-wide LEGO community (kids and adults actively participating in a LEGO community) and the public (kids, parents, grandparents), as well as the LEGO Company. LEGO Ambassador’s mission is to help provide inspiration for LEGO builders of all ages and from all parts of the world. All LEGO Ambassadors members are expected to exemplify the program fundamentals of building proficiency, enthusiasm, and professionalism towards the public, other fans and the LEGO Company.

How are Ambassadors chosen?
Selection is based on a written application (see below), that outlines why the candidate feels s/he should be accepted. It’s a subjective process based in no small part on participation and contribution to the LEGO community. This could be in the form of great events, forum postings that help other fans out, club organization, enthusiasm about building AND sharing with LEGO elements. But while the selection is subjective, all selection will be based on the program fundamentals of building proficiency, enthusiasm, and professionalism towards the public, other fans and the LEGO Company.

Are LEGO Ambassadors employees of the LEGO Company?
No. LEGO Ambassadors are not LEGO Company employees. LEGO Ambassadors contribute to the LEGO Fan community without the promise, expectation, or receipt of compensation. The LEGO Ambassadors Program is an officially recognized community based program of the LEGO Company. In fact, it’s important to note that a closer, more formal relationship with the LEGO Company doesn’t exclude negate the abilities of Ambassadors to speak freely, even critically on LEGO subjects. Ambassadors are not TLC spokespersons, but instead trusted allies.

If I’m chosen, how long will I be an Ambassador?
Every Ambassador has to reapply every cycle (a cycle is 6 months). An Ambassador might be in the program for 2 years, but everyone re-applies every 6 months.

How many Ambassadors are there?
To start, the first cycle will be a smaller, “test” group of 10-15 Ambassadors. Once we’ve worked out the kinks in the first cycle, the program will be about 30-40 Ambassadors.

Please understand that this first cycle is the “guinea pig cycle”… we’ll likely find tons of problems (and hopefully matching solutions). But the first group of Ambassadors will be the trailblazers… and the road might be a little bumpy.

Is this worldwide?
Yes, this is a worldwide program. Of course, it’s based on applications and not recruitment, so if no one from South America applies, for instance, there’s no chance that South America will be represented. The goal is to have both the best talent from the community as well as a representative distribution among countries.

What do the LEGO Ambassadors get?
In exchange for participating in the LEGO Ambassador program, likely benefits might include (but haven’t yet been finalized): * Ability to use the LEGO Ambassadors logo in email/forum post footers and in other contexts * Pre-launch product information * Access to LEGO Company via mailing list and/or quarterly conference call with various groups inside the company * Access to the private LEGO Ambassadors community forums * Invitations to participate in top-secret projects * Invitations to participate in local LEGO marketing events …and a range of other things I’m working on now. This list will likely grow over time.

As an Ambassador, what do I need to agree to do?
LEGO Ambassadors agree to be active contributors to the LEGO world-wide community by engaging in activities such as:
  • Engaging in fan-to-fan support in online forums
  • Actively participating with local LEGO clubs, or forming LEGO clubs if none exist locally
  • Posting feedback, guidance, and other types of support in their favorite online communities
  • Writing articles for publication online and offline
  • Presenting LEGO building subject matter at events and conferences, as well as local user group meetings
Basically: Do more of what you’re doing already.

Additionally, we’d hope that Ambassadors will actively work together with the LEGO Company on projects that may arise.

Does this cost money?
No. This is a free program, you don’t need to pay to join. You will also not be paid for services, and are not considered to be employees of the LEGO Company.

How do I join LEGO Ambassadors?
A person interested in being a member of LEGO Ambassadors should send an email to ambassadorprogram@lego.com with the following information: * A detailed list of places where you contribute to the LEGO community (online and offline) * Links to your personal Web site and/or LEGO creations galleries * An overview of your offline LEGO activities * Other information that helps show you’re “community mindedness”

This email IS your application, so make it a good email. :) We’ll likely receive many applications from many qualified individuals; unfortunately, not all applicants can be accepted into LEGO Ambassadors. LEGO Ambassadors spots are up for review every six (6) months, so if you aren’t accepted you can always increase your community efforts and re-apply. In fact, I hope you do.

We will be sending out invitations to join by 31 January. Again, this is very much a work in progress idea. The first Ambassadors will help define the program for the future. The trailblazers will most certainly experience a few road bumps along the way, but at the end, I’m quite positive that we’ll have a terrific community program where, as I always say “Everybody goes home happy”.

Looking forward to seeing a ton of applications in my inbox!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison