 LEGO Company / 1875
1874  |  1876
Subject:
Weapons in models (was Re: Lego seems to be copying Mega Blocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 04:38:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Neb Okla wrote:

"J. Spencer Rezkalla" <srezkall@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Ahui Herrera wrote:

The models you pointed two are WW I.  My take on it was that TLC did not want
to deal with any issues veterans and their family might have with the toy and
its depiction of the conflict.

I think it's more an issue that they don't want to produce toys that look like
they can be used to emulate the modern warfare that they see on the news and
such. Nobody fights with bi-planes anymore, but fighter jets are pretty much
fighter jets - regardless of era. Same thing goes with tanks or
battleships.

Note that set 4403 (Air Blazers) includes instructions for what would best
be termed a "fighter jet".  Very similar to an F-14... except it's red
instead of gray.

True.

See also the Patriot Jet, circa 1996: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6331

That's a modern "fighter jet". It just doesn't have any weapons. Does the 4403
model have visible weapons?

if not, it doesn't undercut the argument (although it slices pretty close if you
ask me) that they're not producing toys that (as designed) emulate modern
warfare weaponry.

XFUT lugnet.lego