 General / 9773
Re: Three Cheers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics.events
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 15:57:11 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.general, "James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com> writes:
In lugnet.general, Tom Stangl writes:
Oh, I get the gist of your concern, because I have it too.  After reading
Todd's message, I was no less cynical about TLG than before, as this is
just a narrow software focus, having nothing to do with The Brick.

When they start dialogue about longtime concerns with GETTING BRICKS (S@H
parts packs, bulk bricks, whatever, I don't care, as long as I can get
"bulk"), I'll be less cynical.

The purpose of my post wasn't to try to convince people to be less cynical;
I've never met a cynic who became uncynical overnight by direct persuasion
or by happytalk.  The purpose of my post is to draw wide attention to
something positive which happened in one particular corner of the LEGO
universe and to rally positive responses which let LEGO know that, for what
it's worth, its recent actions were both noticed and appreciated.

Positive responses can't hurt, and even if they're not read by anyone at
LEGO right away, it's inevitable that they will someday be discovered and
read, bringing a warm smile to those curious.  I think it's a good thing to
have on the record.

I can understand the concerns you've put forward, but in essence, I don't
care.  I think any step forward is good.

Consider: Someone at a Managerial level actually WANTS interaction with the
adult community.  How can that be anything but a huge leap forward?

Yup, that's it -- exactly!  :)  It's a first significant step in the right
direction -- maybe not an entirely significant one on the surface, but one
which can only be the result of a fundamental shift underway beneath the
surface.  Maybe it's only a handful of people there right now who see the
potential, or it's more than we realize -- but time will tell.  It's natural
of course for the first visible effects of the shift to have appeared in the
most high-tech of all the product lines.

I'm as hurting as the rest of you as far as desire for bulk orders is
concerned, but I will applaud any move forward, however small, or however
'irrelevant to the brick' it happens to be.

Realizing that one small week of positive events doesn't necessarily imply
that more will follow anytime soon, I still cannot help but to be energized
by all of this.  I wasn't expecting anyone in management at LEGO to show up
and post here for at least another six months to a year.  I think MindFest
has had a *hugely* positive accelerative impact in many areas, the full
extents of which are yet far from evident.

Let's also keep in mind that, in a company of many thousand employees, there
are probably dozens of people who work for LEGO who read online discussion
groups in some capacity, either directly or by having things forwarded to
them via email.  I'd be surprised, in fact, if there weren't at least one or
two online discussion messages each week circulating various parts of the
internal LEGO email system.  And you can bet they must have some kind of
"Internet Watch" group set up somewhere to monitor our collective pulse.

For these reasons, I believe that it's as important to LEGO employee outlook
as it is to our own outlook that we celebrate each positive step forward,
however small, toward building relations.  Surely, the folks doing product
development at LEGO, especially the younger crowd -- people like Jeroen
Ottens, who posted here in Feburary -- have been lobbying their management
interally (probably for years) that LEGO should play a more active role in
the online fan community and recognize as well as foster the symbiotic
relationship with adults.  While what has occurred recently may only be a
"toe testing the water," I'm sure that the mere fact that it happened at all
is a definite morale booster for the wired crowd at LEGO, and I'm sure that
any positive responses we might have for them would be appreciated.

--Todd

There is a movie (a comedy) that came out in recent years called "What about Bob"
staring Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss about a neurotic man following his new
Psychiatrist on vacation ..... and in that movie Bill Murray followed the advice
of the shrink to take "baby steps .... baby steps" one slow activity at a time.
Ditto for TLG ...   they are taking baby steps......  and as they overcome their
fears they will take new baby steps....

Gary Istok