 General / 7141
7140  |  7142
Subject:
1958-60 LEGO Model Display Buildings Catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:33:03 GMT

Folks,

John DiRienzo and I both recently got the same ancient Lego catalog from
a Belgian Lego dealer/collector as a complimentary gift after we both
won items in this gentleman's Auction.  The catalog, in black and white
with blue background was made circa 1958-60 (before the advent of Lego
Wheels).  It has a lot of very interesting models.  John and I were
trying to figure out whether this was a catalog of items for sale, or of
items for display.

I think that the latter is true.  When Larry P. came over for a visit
last Sunday, we were looking at this curious catalog, as well as some
other old Lego material.  We discovered that two of the pictures (the
half timbered medieval house and the Hotel with the long row of windows)
were also in Building Idea Book #1 (1960-67), and a few of the pictures
were shown in the Architectural Set #751.  The medieval house was also
in a 1962 Christmas window display in Detroit's historic Hudson's
Department Store window, of which I have a photograph.

As it turns out, this catalog is probably a brochure of model buildings
that TLG had available for Toy Store and Toy Fair displays, and for use
in its other catalogs of the late 50's and early 60's.  This makes it a
very important early document of what TLG produced for advertisements
and promotions early in its' history.

A few of the pictures are especially interesting.  The LEGO castle is
probably one of the earliest ever built out of Lego.  And I really like
the Peking City Gate building as well.

John recently posted these pictures (along with his website) for the
folks in RTL to see.  I just wanted to update the info on the catalog,
and show the LUGNET AFOLs  (a more sophisticated group, of course) what
this important historical document looks like.

Thanks John for posting these!

http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/ib60/index.htm

Enjoy,

Gary Istok