 General / 56244
56243  |  56245
Subject:
LEGO North America President Emphasizes Corporate Responsibility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2015 17:03:28 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO North America President Emphasizes Corporate Responsibility

By Mara Lee
January 7, 2015

While the history of LEGO Systems Inc. in Connecticut is at least in part one of a steely-eyed decision to move jobs to Mexico to save money, the group president on Wednesday emphasized the gentler side of capitalism at the billion-dollar toy maker.

Søren Torp Laursen, who declared that after 28 years with the company, “I have LEGO plastic in my veins,” said he was fortunate to be a leader at a family-owned business.

That’s because, he said, it’s better to be family owned in tough times than “having to answer to sometimes pretty ruthless shareholders.”

Laursen did not paper over the job reductions in Enfield in 2007, which cut the local staff at the North American headquarters from about 650 to about 360. But, he said, with steady hiring in the past three years, the payroll has grown to about 750 year-round workers and nearly 150 seasonal call center workers.

That’s still down from the peak in the 1990s of about 1,200, but Laursen told the 400 attendees at a Connecticut Business and Industry Association event Wednesday: “The average pay rate is three times higher as it was in manufacturing.”

LEGO is looking to fill 45 jobs in Enfield now, in marketing, finance and other administrative positions.

Laursen told the audience that a dozen years ago, the Danish-based company lost $300 million in a single year and was at the brink of bankruptcy.

“We’d lost our way,” he said. It’s not that LEGO was wrong to try to develop TV series, computer games and the like based on the LEGO product — LEGO has video games and TV and movies now — but he said they were wanting to do too much too fast.

After laying off 1,100 people around the world and selling majority stakes in LEGO theme parks, the company rededicated itself to learning what its customers wanted from LEGO sets.

That wasn’t the only strategy change, he said. The company also changed its approach to retailers. “We were too arrogant selling to them” before the crisis, he said. Now, sharing revenue with large stores is not just the company’s practice, but it’s one of four priorities that management measures relentlessly, he said.

The other priorities include creating quality products, protecting the environment, and maintaining workforce morale. Laursen told the group that by projects such as building windmills in Germany, LEGO is on track to be carbon neutral by 2020. The company’s website says one of its workforce initiatives is to improve diversity, and to promote more women into top positions.

Laursen said: “My bonus is based on these four promises, not on how much money we make. Most other companies do it the other way around.”

Laursen showed the trend of growing sales and market share at LEGO, but said the work is far from finished. He said “70 percent of our business comes from the Western World where 30 percent of the future growth is going to come from.”

Laursen said the company is investing heavily in marketing in China and Latin America and Mexico.

Source: The Courant

-end of report-