 General / 56190
56189  |  56191
Subject:
Just to prove, YET AGAIN, that LUGNET's not dead...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:57:23 GMT

And ignorant ppl who might admin other lego forum sites really should stop
saying that...

As well, before I get to my post, (and to continue with my rant), if you can't
respect the fact that, without LUGNET, your little forum website probably
wouldn't be as big as it is, or even in existence at all.

As far as I can see, LUGNET laid the groundwork for all subsequently successful
AFOL forums.  LUGNET separated the AFOL's from the 'background noise' that was
rtl and other newsgroups.  It was one of the first message boards--programmed
form scratch, and well before cookie-cutter PHP message boards--that allowed us
to communicate with one another whilst keeping out the spammers.

Again, you don't have to respect any of this.  You don't have to take any of
this into consideration when running your discussion group.  However, don't
think for a second that you have the temerity to pronounce LUGNET dead.

And another little point to all your admins and owners of other AFOL sites--not
one of you combined ALL facets of the hobby in the same fashion and to the same
extent that LUGNET did.  And none of you could do it now.  You want to stay
ensconced into your own little niche of the hobby--all the power to you--have
fun with that.  Just don't go slamming the giant that lead the way for you.

All that said, I visit many of the AFOL sites on a regular basis because LUGNET
isn't what it once was.  There is no 'one-stop shopping' for the AFOL community
now.  So again I say, have your sites!  I love visiting them and seeing what
other AFOL's are saying and building...  there is no end of discovery out there.
Again, however, you're there now because of who came before you.  You're
standing on the shoulders of giants who lead the way.

Anyway, now that I got that out of the way, I'm building something!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky1701/sets/72157643617736845/

It's for the OBB space layout (obviously).  I needed something to replace the
big crater and this is what I came up with.  It needs a few more BrickLink
orders and lots of time.

Again, no interiors as yet.  I do keep stating that when I get the layout
finalized, that I'll go back and readdress all the buildings and stuff and add
the details.  however, as yet, that hasn't happened :(

Dave K