 General / 56176
56175  |  56177
Subject:
LEGO and Martian Manhunter....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:11:10 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Many people have discussed the corrosive effects of time on history.  And this
is so true about LEGO.  So much of what has happened in the past about LEGO has
unfortunately not been well documented, even by the LEGO Archives in Billund.
However, this is by no means unique to our building toy.

In my drive to squeeze every bit of information out of our distant collective
LEGO past, I some times accidentally stumble onto some items... rather than
research it.

This was true in regards to a relatively obscure comic book illustrator by the
name of Joe Certa.  Mr. Certa worked for DC Comics back in the golden era of the
1950s.  Interestingly enough very little is known about Joe Certa, except that
he lived in California, worked for DC Comics for about 15 years, first produced
the images for their Super Hero Martian Manhunter in 1955, worked freelance in
the 1960s, produced the artwork for the Dark Shadows magazine, and retired in
the 1970s.  Also known is the fact that Joe Certa lived from 1919-1986.

Joe Certa in the 1940s....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/13086242214/sizes/l/

Fast forward to 2014.... the Martian Manhunter DC Super Hero that Joe Certa
first drew in 1955 has been updated over the years... and in 2014 Martian
Manhunter came out as a Super Hero Minifig Set 5002126....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/13086053215/sizes/o/

This minifig super hero is a bit different from the Martian Manhunter that Joe
Certa drew in the 1950s....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/13086107613/sizes/l/

So far this is just the background on who designed a DC comic hero that many
decades later became a LEGO minfig super hero.

Now reverse 6 years to about 2008.  In an Ebay auction that a friend (Eric
Strand) brought to my attention, a group of nearly 100 artwork images of Joe
Certa's estate were auctioned off in 1 block.  Unfortunately I didn't have the
money to buy it at the time... but I wish I did today.  I'm sure that interest
in the Joe Certa artwork would be very desireable by the Comic Book collectors
crowd today.

Anyway... in that auction of Joe Certa artwork were 2 images that caught my eye.
One was for a Samsonite suitcase ad, during the time that LEGO in USA/Canada was
licensed and sold by Samsonite Corporation.  Here is the very high quality
Samsonite ad artwork... not sure if it ever actually made it to an ad or not....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/13085658253/sizes/o/

t was however another ad in this large group of artwork that caught my eye.  And
that was this 1963 Samsonite LEGO ad artowrk that Joe Certa produced...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/13085604185/sizes/l/

This ad artwork is very nicely produced, and Joe Certa's talents were never in
question.  However this artwork did tell us a few things about Joe Certa.... 1)
he likely never had LEGO... since the way the boy in the artwork was holding the
brick seems very odd to us today, 2) the windows/doors style seems very alien
(no pun intended) to us... no LEGO windows ever looked like that, and the doors
were disguised on the 2 side wings so that we would not guess them to be doors,
and 3) the colors used, especially what looks like lime green and Maersk blue,
were both unknown to LEGO builders of the 1960s.

Also the use of LEGO doors along with the inside curve of macaroni bricks are
totally disguised in the 2 side wings of this building.

Also, when I first saw this artwork by Joe Certa, I knew I had seen that
building design before... but couldn't place it right away.  Eventually I
remembered that it was a model (0711) from a 1958 continental European Glued
Display Catatlog... in black/white.  Also, the artwork layout also looked
familiar to me, and eventually I found that it was from a 1963 LEGO magazine ad,
which I had an image of.

And here we have all 3... the original display model from a 1958 catalog (left),
the Joe Certa artwork (middle) and the final 1963 magazine artwork image
(right)...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/13086148094/sizes/l/

So now it came full circle...

The Samsonite LEGO folks, while appreciating the artwork talents of Joe Certa,
likely didn't agree with the interpretation of the LEGO building and colors used
in the ad image.  So they eventually opted instead to use a photograph of a LEGO
building display with a human model, rather than the more abstract artwork from
Joe Certa.

So although Joe Certa never lived to actually see the day that his artwork
acutally made it to LEGO in 2014... it's very interesting to see that his
involvement with LEGO goes back some time.  And it was only thru luck that we
are able to know about his involvement with LEGO!!

(From my new LEGO Collectors Guide chapter on LEGO Stories, Anecdotes and
Histories!)

Enjoy!
Gary Istok