 General / 55151
Re: Un-yellow old plastic - will it work on LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:01:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Thuma wrote:
   Do you have yellowed brick and wish to restore it to its original color?

I recently stumbled upon a Maker Magazine article called “Un-Yellow Old Plastics - Retr0brite!”

Yes. I tried this last week and the results were very good. Take a look at this post.

The picture shows the results before and after a exposure of only 2 hours in the sun. We are having a heat wave here in Brazil and I was afraid of letting the bricks too much time in the sun and in the end get some melted bricks.

My main problem is to find the liquid Hydrogen Peroxide 10%. I can only find it in a creamy base that is used to bleach hair. This makes it difficult to apply to bricks.

I looked at the surface of the treated bricks and couldn’t see anything different from a new brick. So, it seems that this process is safe.

But, will have to do some more tests as well.

Leg Godt,

Ildefonso.