 General / 54339
Re: Would it be a good idea if LEGO made metal axles?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:46:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.general, Thomas Garrison wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Allan Kolenovsky wrote:

Has LEGO ever considered releasing metal axles?

Well, they did. . .
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x1208b
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x1208a

I know nothing about pre-Technic gears, especially European pre-Technic
gears, so I don't know if these parts were used as cross axles or, as may
be the case, cross axle-to-"freely spinning axle" adapters.

I think those were just to allow the pre-Technic cog wheels to work on the old
motors (4.5 and 12V) which could only turn the round (also metal) axles of the
old red LEGO wheels. Later motors had a special bearing for cross axles and
worked with the plastic technic axles, so metal adapters were discontinued. I
think they were pretty rare to begin with, even in my not exactly small
collection I have only one single piece.

It may be worthwhile to consider making a collection of aluminum axles - that
should be doable for an affordable amount of money. I've seen people
constructing aluminum rings to convert the old spoked wheels into large train
wheels, so there's definitely people out there with the necessary tools and
materials at hand.

Personally, I'd buy some as I see use of them ;)

Regards,

Jerry

Yes most of the 1970-76 European style gear sets (#800, #801, #802, #810, #811,
#812, #813 and #814) had mainly those milky white axles.  The metal ones that
came in a few of these sets was for use with LEGO motors.

Cheers,
Gary Istok