 General / 53904
Re: Brickshelf + Amazon S3 = Solution?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:00:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.general, Eric Smith wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
Just wanted to throw out a potential solution for Kevin - Would Amazon's S3
product be a solution to the bandwidth/storage concerns?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261

Since S3 is talking about using BitTorrent to move data, this would not be a
good solution for data that needs to be available on a real-time basis. It
sounds like it's more appropriate for an online backup solution.

As I understand it, BitTorrent is an additional option on top of the standard
functionality. More info here:

http://tinyurl.com/yu54wz

37signals is dealing with a massive amount of files by the minute based on S3.
Here's the info:

http://tinyurl.com/27wj8m

More success stories: http://tinyurl.com/26jwp6

The story of particular interest is the SmugMug (a photo sharing site)
story:http://tinyurl.com/yw2w9e

"The company's customers have added more than 10 terabytes of new images each
month. The company figures it has saved roughly $500,000 in storage expenditures
and cut its disk storage array costs in half - all with zero increase in staff
or datacenter space. [...] They are a subscription-based online photo sharing
company with over 150,000 paying customers who depend on SmugMug to safely store
more than 70 million photos on their behalf. [...]From writing the first line of
code to being fully operational on Amazon S3 took SmugMug just one week. SmugMug
is copying 80 terabytes worth of photos to Amazon S3, which represents more than
70,000,000 originals with six display copies of each. That's about half a
billion individual images. All of SmugMug's new photos are being backed up to
Amazon S3, which is an additional 10 terabytes of new images added to Amazon S3
each month."

S3 would still be a bit of money per month, but my guess it that it's nowhere
NEAR whatever Kevin's paying now.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Private Citizen
"Keeping hope alive"

Hi Jake,

Amazon S3 is the exact solution I thought of when I heard about this problem. I
glanced at the API documentation, and it doesn't seem like a difficult solution
to implement, either.

Now that it seems that Brickshelf won't be making a comeback, maybe it's a
solution that people in the community could solve. I have some meager Ruby on
Rails skills to offer, as well as XHTML+CSS experience, and would love to pitch
in and help create the next Brickshelf.

Dave