 General / 53827
Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 21:45:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher J. Dean wrote:

   I feel it’s time to step up, provide a catalyst to ensure this never stops for all of us – continuing the operation of Brickshelf. And not just for backing up images of personal creations of the website for archival purposes. That’s not the true value of Brickshelf. It is the ultimate medium for sharing our ideas, improving the brand, and growing the community. I ask for you to help, and together, we can turn this scare into something positive.

Christopher, I agree with your sentiments. I’m not a terribly active AFOL. Still, I’ve sent $10 via PayPal to Lugnet, and to Brickshelf, and to Peeron. My son and I have certainly gotten more than our money’s worth from these great online resources. And we didn’t HAVE to pay anything!

I think that Kevin did us all a great favor by running Brickshelf.

Having said that, I’m not 100% certain that Brickshelf needs to continue in its present form. Brickshelf is several years old. Since it was created, there has been an explosion of free web sites which host photos. Is there any obvious reason to centralize Lego photos? I could host my son’s and my photos at my ISP, or with Flickr.

If another centralized site for hosting Lego photos is created, and the community sees value in using it, of course I’ll go along, and I’ll chip in another $10 or $20. I just want to understand the reasons for re-creating a Brickshelf clone site before signing on to the idea.

Ladasky Home Solar, Inc.: blowing sunshine up your power grid since March 24, 2005. Fiat lux!

Uptime: 842.5 days
   Downtime: 13 hours
   kWh generated: 15241
   kWh consumed: 15954