 General / 52776
Re: Picture Story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:36:43 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Alex Desbiens wrote:

   Now, I want to know if anybody have any advice before I begin. Maybe tips for shootings , selecting a story , writing text or showing it to the AFOL community.

Hi Alex,

Good luck on your new project. I think that before you start an illustrated story, there are a number of questions you want to ask yourself:

Original story vs. pre-existing story/novel/movie? Personally I go with pre-existing story, but then I’m not very good at writing original stories and I’m more interested in the LEGO creations. It looks like you’re going with something pre-existing, which leads to the next question:

Book vs. movie? If you can watch a movie, it gives you ideas about good camera angles, building designs, and so forth. OTOH, it can limit your creativity. Also, even if you go with your own designs for buildings, characters, etc, you’ll get a lot of comments critiquing it for not looking like the movie, which can be annoying. So I’d personally go with a book, or even a short story, which leads to the next question:

Scope of the project--is this going to be an epic story, told in many chapters, or are you going to do something much shorter (say 10-20 pictures plus accompanying text)? Big epic stories are really impressive, and can be a great LEGO project that covers years. The downfall of this is that life interferes, you become interested in other projects, and soon you find you’ve gone two years without updating your story. For a starter I would suggest you do a much shorter story. That way you can present the finished product all at once.

Balance of text vs pictures--are you going to have pages of text with a few pictures, or only a line or two of text to accompany each picture? This all depends on the story you pick. If it is something very well known, you don’t need to include much text, as you can assume your audience already knows preety much what’s going on. OTOH, if it is unknown (or an original story), you’ll generally need a lot of text. Personally I think it is best to go with just a few lines per image, as your readers are going to focus largely on the LEGO creations.

Choice of the story. As implied above, I think it’s best to go with something shorter, that is generally well known. Also it’s important to choose something that uses a few interesting locations, so that you have interesting things to build, and not an over-reliance on dialogue, since pictures of minifigs doing things are more interesting than pictures of minifigs talking.

For illustration of how I’ve approached this, let me share my Cask of Amontillado (not because it’s so great, just because it involved these various questions). First the story choice - I had previously gotten praise for posting an illustrated version of the Raven on Halloween, so as the next Halloween approached I wanted to do another Edgar Allen Poe story. From my own limited experience, The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Cask of Amontillado are probably the best known of Poe’s writings (yes, people probably all know the name “The Fall of the House of Usher”, but I for one had no idea what it is about, and while people may or may not know the name of the story the Cask of Amontillado is maybe less well known, but the final scene of bricking the notorious Fortunato up in a wall is iconic and has been reproduced in many forms, including a Simpsons episode). For some reason I chose Cask (though I do plan to do the Tell-Tale Heart and Pit and the Pendulum in the future) (I even Bricklinked the figs for Pit, but then was involved in moving across country this past Halloween, so was a bit busy). This is in the public domain, so I was able to download the text from Project Gutenberg. That was good because I printed out the story so that I could mark it up. I read through the story a couple of times, and then went and circled key events. I knew there had to be an initial conversation between the two main characters, which led to the invitation back to Montresor’s home. Once there, Montresor leads Fortunato down into the depths of the catacombs, going deeper and deeper. Finally Montresor traps his rival and bricks him up in the wall, leaving him to die. So I knew I had to build at least three scenes - the town exterior, inside Montresor’s home, and down in the catacombs (in the end I actually built five, as I added the stairwell and broke the catacombs into two different scenes). I went through the story and underlined key passages of dialogue and description, trying to come up with the bare minimum that would still faithfully tell the story, and I planned an image to go with every few lines. I’ll let others make suggestions about photography, but I’ll simply say that the key is to take many many more pictures than you need, and keep only the best. That’s the joy of digital cameras, after all. You look like a genius photographer if noone sees all the blurred, cut off, obstructed, or otherwise ruined pictures. In presenting the actual story once you’ve got all your photos edited, I think that it’s best to do a picture or two per page, with -next- buttons to go on, but it’s also certainly possible to put it all on one page and just have people scroll down to read on. If you have your own website you can do this with simple html. If you do not have your own site, this is a little tougher. You can certainly use MOCpages and just put the captions next to the thumbnails, but people would have to click the thumbnails to blow them up, and that might be a bit cumbersome. Flickr might be better, but I don’t know enough about Flickr to know for sure. Once you’ve got a page up on the web (and checked all the links to make sure that they work) post it all over the various LEGO websites. Lugnet of course, but as many of the others as you can as well (particularly if it falls into a particular theme - if it’s science fiction, be sure to post in Clasic-Space and FBTB, if it’s medieval in Classic-Castle, etc.

Bruce