 General / 52716
Re: Lego Catalogs That Span 2 Years
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2006 19:41:34 GMT

.... and while I'm on an "end of USA Samsonite" tangent.  Look at this page from
a 1972 J.C. Penney catalog.... these department store Samsonite Lego catalog
sets (unique to USA) had huge parts counts... huge sets with over 800, 900, and
1,200 parts (from Eric Strand's excellent Lego set catalog collection):

USA Samsonite was desperately dumping their remaining inventory of plastic/parts
in order to get rid of it all before TLG took over the Lego license later in
1972.

Note:  these catalog Samsonite sets were in inventory in department store
warehouses and available for sale until August 1973.  So although Samsonite lost
the license in 1972, the remaining department store stock was sold in 1973,
simultaneous with 1973 TLG sets.

Gary