 General / 52657
Re: BrickiWiki
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 14:45:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
   This link arrived in my mailbox this morning courtesy of Google Alerts:

http://brickiwiki.wetpaint.com

Is this a legitamate AFOL effort or a company attaching itself to the LEGO brand?

-- Bryan

Also announced here. IMO this is not a legitimate effort but is an attachment. Brickwiki (no extra i) has been around for quite some time, is quite comprehensive and is most definitely an AFOL effort.

To be honest, I’m really unimpressed by this effort as it basically steals the name of what exists for no reason I can see other than to sell their brand.

I concur wholeheartedly. On principle I personally will never use it, and I would encourage all other AFOLs to avoid it as well, sticking to the homegrown original Brickwiki.

In fact, I think that there should be a frontpage link on LUGNET to a little tutorial showing how AFOLs can actually contribute to the project (needs to be so simple that even I can get it:-) Brickwiki has, in my estimation, been flying too low under the radar.

JOHN

Unless someone else has taken to being you, you seem to have got at least the basics right ;) I noticed your edit the other day.

A good place to start with BrickWiki is probably the FAQ.

Tim

PS. It has come to my attention that the owners of BrickWiki are aware of BrickiWiki and were asked to port across. I’m still not sure I’m pleased about BrickiWiki but at least they did contact someone from BrickWiki.