 General / 52299
52298  |  52300
Subject:
LEGO Dentistry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.fun
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:23:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Last April I had an unfortunate fall at work. My face hit the concrete floor and I busted one of my front teeth, as you can see here:

Normally the dentist would put some kind of cap on what was left of the tooth, so I could do things like eat, smile and pronounce the letters V and F. As “luck” would have it, the part of the tooth that was still there had been cracked so much in the fall that using it to put a cap on wasn’t going to be possible. So they had to pull the whole thing out, root and all:

Woe is me!

The dentist made me something called a “flipper” that is a piece that fits against the roof of my mouth and has a fake tooth on it that fits exactly where the real one used to be. I can’t eat with it; it’s just there to keep me from looking like a moron until I get the permanent tooth implant in.

One day while looking at the gap where my tooth had been, I noticed that the size of the gap appeared to be about the same width as a LEGO stud. “Hmmm,” I thought to myself. “I wonder if I could fashion some sort of fake tooth out of LEGOS?”

I took a white 1X1 tile and put it up in the empty slot. BINGO! It was a perfect fit. The 1X1 tile fit between the 2 existing real teeth with no extra space so that friction held it in place. Yet isn’t wasn’t so tight that it hurt or needed to be wedged in with a lot of force.

Next I took the idea one step further. I thought, “Why use a 1X1 tile, when there’s a 1X1 LEGO piece with a tooth already on it?”

Now I can roar with the best of them.

Whole gallery

David “Sabertooth” Gregory