 General / 52205
Re: Need building tips for a church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.no, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:08:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

My fourth and last attempt on this strange building is now finished and the
pictures can be found here:
(after moderation, that is)

"Tim Gould" <t.gould(AT@)lancaster(DOT.)ac(DOT.)uk> skrev i melding
Do you use only photos or do you use drawings from the curch?
I would use photos only  and maybe interior plans but that depends on how
accurate you want the model to be and personal preference. I find that by
working from photos I can concentrate on the important points and • sacrifice on
others more easily than if I worked from a plan.

My first three attempt on this church was built only from memory of the
church and one picture from a long distance  :)
But I found some more picture that I used for the fourth version. And after
I built the fourth version I visited the church to attendt to the first
consert with the new organ in the curch. (My model is from the old organ).
And I could see that I was not that far off with my building in LEGO ;)
Nice consert too...

How to find the correct scale to build in?
There are a whole lot of answers to this, none of which are right and none • of
which are wrong. My answer would be "the scale that lets you best model • the
building whilst looking right next to a minifig" but other people will • have
different answers.

I found it difficult to find the excact scale to build in because I have
limited amount of white bricks to build from. Acctually I purcased a #4886
set just to get more white bricks (first time I ever have purcased a set
just for a singel project).
So I settled with some quasi scale, I'm not sure what the numer is but altar
and rows of seat looks to be in the same scale now. And the rest followed
the size of the roof. Tried to anyway...

Hope this is of help,
It was inspiring and a lot of help. Thank you!

A sneak peak on the new glass mosaic can be seen here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phoenix/Ishavskatedralen/Kirke-version4/ki
rke-v4_0013.jpg

And the new front and overall look is here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phoenix/Ishavskatedralen/Kirke-version4/ki
rke-v4_0001.jpg

I have made a more correct scale of the organ, I have rebuilt the altar and
the "altar tablet" (not sure what that is called in English, but the wall
behind the altar, often a painting or sculptures). I have also tried to
rebuild the glass mosaic so it looks a bit more like the real one, but
because of shortage of transparent pieces this is what I finaly ended with.
I have also stretched the church a bit and got a better front and an new
stair in the front. Even put in the wheelchair ramp.
Overall I'm pretty happy with this last attempt. And I dont think I will
make more adjustment to it.
Maybe after a few years when I got some more bricks and can build it larger
and get better details and more correct to scale...

You can see the progress from version1 up to version4 after moderation.
There are also some pictures of the orginal church that you can look at and
compare with my version. Comments are welcome.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
Tromsø, Norway