 General / 52092

Subject:
LEGO Store Display Install in Portland: Oh, The Drama
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:48:36 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

So here’s the lowdown...

The local LEGO train club (GPLR) was invited to participate in a pilot program to set up a display inside one of the cases at our local LEGO Brand store. We’re one of three clubs participating, and the last one to install their display.

Short and pithy version:
Kelly dropped the display, shattered it in the mall parking lot. Picked up the pieces, toted them in, received much warranted ribbing about klutziness, GPLR rebuilt it in the store, installed it, and left happy. Pictures here after moderation: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=156352

Amusing yet lengthy anecdote version:
Steve Barile and I spent last Saturday building a mountain scene with railroad bridge, sized to fit the store display. Needless to say, Steve did most of the cool stuff while I slapped bricks together. Steve thought he wasn’t going to be able to attend the Thursday night installation, so he brought it to my place. It turns out he was able to attend, which was very fortunate - as you’ll see.

Thursday evening rolls around, and I bring the 31-inch tall display downstairs, picturing every step of the way tripping and watching bricks fly everywhere. You know the feeling: the sigh of relief as you reach the bottom stair unscathed and intact. Strap that puppy into the van, pick up Bob, and cruise slowly through a cold, rainy December night to the just-about-to-close mall. The parking lot is nearly deserted, fortunately, so I got a good parking space under a light, near the entrance.

I’d like to say I slipped on an oil slick. Or tripped over a discarded fast food container. Or twisted my ankle. But those would all be lies, lies, lies. Display in hand, I made it nearly ten feet away from the car before I let the display become overbalanced.

The moment: you know it, you fear it. The visions on the stairs? Coming true before your eyes. Time slows, but reflexes can’t match. It’s happening, and you can’t stop it. Gravity rules as the mountaintop slowly dips forward, picking up speed. There’s a point where you just know it’s past the point of recovery. My shout (two words, unrepeatable here) bounced off the storefronts even before the heavy brick construction split in the middle, rushing groundward. Going down on my knees, captain going down with the ship, trying in vain to keep it as intact as possible before the inevitable sickening plopshattertinkletinkle.

The sound of disassembling bricks hitting wet pavement is one you will not soon forget. Trust me.

On the one hand, hey, they’re not my bricks, right? On the other hand - oh CRAP, those aren’t my bricks...

Bob Kojima, who rode with me, fetched the cavalry as I picked up the remnants of the display and put them into a container I swiped from the back of my wife’s minivan. By the time Frank, Ben, and Steve arrived at the crime scene, I had the debris mostly picked up. Steve’s reaction: “Not much point in bringing it in, is there?” (Actually, his first reaction was “You didn’t drop my train, did you?”[1]) Then he saw that the carnage was relatively limited, and there were several big chunks intact.

We can rebuilt it. We will rebuild it.

The ribbing was good-natured (at least that’s how I choose to take it) and far less than I deserved. No shouts, no accusations, no criticisms - it’s times like this when you really understand why you hang out with these guys. There but for the klutziness of Binky go they. Smiling and shaking their heads, they helped pick up the pieces - literally - and tote them into the mall and into the LEGO store.

The yellow-shirted employees stared as a conga line of adults strode in, each one carrying a section of dripping, twisted brickage. Fortunately, since it was just before closing time, the store was deserted and we were able to spread out near the Pick A Brick wall to commence surgery. Tom, the manager, didn’t even raise an eyebrow. “Need a few minutes?” he asked, and I humbly nodded. “No problem.”

A busy but (relatively) fun 45 minutes later, six members of GPLR (including Jeremy, who walked in shortly after The Incident) had reconstructed the mountain, trees, and bridge. The store personnel swept up around us and were extremely sporting about it all, tolerating the invasion and even pulling up Brickshelf so we could see tree placement. They later helped take pictures of us posing in front of... well, you’ll see.

Once the display was reconstructed (with the inevitable few bits left over), the next challenge was fitting it into the display case. It turns out the top and sides of the case are removable, but the front was screwed in, almost screwing us. In addition, the measurements Tom and I had taken earlier of the interior were tighter than we’d thought. With the yellow cardboard backing, we were almost 3 studs too deep. Ben, after pondering the sitch for a minute, figured we could set the backing up on a metal lip just a tad, giving us the required extra studdage room.

Moment of truth, Take 2: Steve and Frank carefully toted the construct to the display area. Kelly was not allowed to touch, upon pain of... pain. Ben (aptly of Big Ben Bricks) lifted the entire mountain over the top and down into the display area, where Steve and Frank gently guided it into place, like a train gliding into the station. (Given the nature of the club, I’m required by law to include a minimum of one train metaphor.) The front scenery that Steve had built (and did not hit the pavement, thankfully) slid right in front. The house is a miniature version of a current set, and the trees are versions of ones also currently available in bins at the front of the store - no shoving, there’s enough for everybody.

Greebling only took a few minutes. A few rock-climbers here, a couple of falcons there, train positioned on the bridge, and that’s it, we’re done!

We posed for a couple of quick pictures, which the store employees were gracious enough to help with, and chatted with Tom as he gently ushered us out of the store. I’m sure we kept them later than normal, but they never said a word to hurry us. Big props to Tom and his staff for putting up with the disruption and chaos. We promised next time would go better, but I think he knows me too well to actually believe me.

Final tally:
1 Successfully Installed Mountain Display
6 Tired But Smiling GPLR Members
1 Gashed Thumb
~50 Leftover Bricks
1 Embarrassed Kelly who has now proven to the world just how much of a dork he is
2 Smooshed Bricks[2]
1 Funny/Embarrassing Story
13 Pretty Good Pictures of the Tragedy and Its Redemption
3 of 3 LEGO Stores with Club Displays

My biggest worry now is not being allowed to play with Steve’s toys anymore ‘cuz I’m such a klutz. Next time, my house, my bricks.

Kelly

[1] Nope.
[2] One of which had one of its studs pushed flush with the top of the brick - never seen that before. Cool!

Re: LEGO Store Display Install in Portland: Oh, The Drama
Moment of truth, Take 2: Steve and Frank carefully toted the
construct to the display area. Kelly was not allowed to touch, upon
pain of... pain. Ben (aptly of Big Ben Bricks) lifted the entire
mountain over the top and down into the display area, where Steve and
Frank gently guided it into place, like a train gliding into the
station. (Given the nature of the club, I'm required by law to
include a minimum of one train metaphor.) The front scenery that
Steve had built (and did not hit the pavement, thankfully) slid right
in front. The house is a miniature version of a current set, and the
trees are versions of ones also currently available in bins at the
front of the store - no shoving, there's enough for everybody.

Hmm, I wasn't involved in the toting... I think it was Jeremy/

Frank

[...]

It was me...I just never showed my face. :-)

-jeremy

gplr

visit Greater Portland LEGO Railroaders

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   So here’s the lowdown...

The local LEGO train club (GPLR) was invited to participate in a pilot program to set up a display inside one of the cases at our local LEGO Brand store. We’re one of three clubs participating, and the last one to install their display.

Short and pithy version:
Kelly dropped the display, shattered it in the mall parking lot. Picked up the pieces, toted them in, received much warranted ribbing about klutziness, GPLR rebuilt it in the store, installed it, and left happy. Pictures here after moderation: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=156352

--SNIP--

Well, in the end it looks brilliant and that’s what counts. Just be glad you build out of Lego and not cardboard and wood or any of those other silly (and destructible) substances that typical railroad modellers use.

Tim

Re: LEGO Store Display Install in Portland: Oh, The Drama
In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   So here’s the lowdown...

The local LEGO train club (GPLR) was invited to participate in a pilot program to set up a display inside one of the cases at our local LEGO Brand store. We’re one of three clubs participating, and the last one to install their display.

Short and pithy version:
Kelly dropped the display, shattered it in the mall parking lot. Picked up the pieces, toted them in, received much warranted ribbing about klutziness, GPLR rebuilt it in the store, installed it, and left happy. Pictures here after moderation: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=156352

You know, Binky... I hear Bionicle stuff doesn’t come apart when you drop it... maybe you should stick to that?

++Lar

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   So here’s the lowdown...

The local LEGO train club (GPLR) was invited to participate in a pilot program to set up a display inside one of the cases at our local LEGO Brand store. We’re one of three clubs participating, and the last one to install their display.

Short and pithy version:
Kelly dropped the display, shattered it in the mall parking lot. Picked up the pieces, toted them in, received much warranted ribbing about klutziness, GPLR rebuilt it in the store, installed it, and left happy. Pictures here after moderation: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=156352

You know, Binky... I hear Bionicle stuff doesn’t come apart when you drop it... maybe you should stick to that?

++Lar

Lol, I get the impression that may be the general consensus... if, the next club get-together, everybody huddles protectively over their mocs when I approach, hey, I can take a hint if it’s delivered at nuclear proportions. :)

Kelly

Re: LEGO Store Display Install in Portland: Oh, The Drama