 General / 51594
Re: Lego Frisbee. Was: Re: What is this thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:09:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Alan Demlow wrote:
In lugnet.space, Jude Beaudin wrote:
In lugnet.space, Alan Demlow wrote:
Hi.  I found this at a flea market today:

http://www.lightlink.com/demlow/pics/weird_lego.jpg

It's a disc maybe 6-8" in diameter made of heavy canvas.  The border is also
quite heavy; it has something sewn into it (like a heavy cord or flexible wire)
to weight it down, it seems.  My wife decided it could be used as a frisbee, and
it does in fact fly quite nicely.  So, two questions:  can anybody confirm what
this thing is, and when is it from?  The printing looks like Blacktron (I?).  I
couldn't match it with a set, but the parts used to build the model look like
they could have come from the 6894 Invader.

Alan

It is a frisbee, I had a Yamaha one when I was a kid. The idea is it collapses
if it hits you so it does not hurt like a plastic disk.

Jude

Thanks, so we've established that it's a collapsible frisbee.  Now, does anybody
have further information on Lego frisbees?  When and how were they issued?  (The
flea market I found this one at was in Germany, btw.)

I received another e-mail from somebody not registered with Lugnet who said such
frisbees were popular in the mid-80's, which I guess fits with the time frame of
the Blacktron theme.

Alan

I have a similar one. Same colour and logo, but less the spacecraft IIRC. I
obtained it from a small toyshop in northern France in the late 80's, given to
me by the shopkeeper for spending over a certain minimum (50FF?) on LEGO in his
shop (which wasn't difficult, as there were several long-deleted sets :-)
HTH,
Phil in Yorkshire.