 General / 51455
Re: Have '87 Catalog with many alternate/different set names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:50:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:
Hey all,

I was given a bag of Lego a few days ago that had a number of old set
instructions along with a product catalog that has different names for
almost all of the sets listed.  According to the back, the catalog was
printed in Germany by Frank Druck, Preetz / Holst.  I'd heard of different
names depending on the country of release but I'd never seen it in a catalog
before!  I found the alternate names quite interesting and was wondering if
anyone would be interested in them and if there's a site that seeks to
gather such information.

A few examples:

# set  American name - German name?  (since it was printed in Germany)

CASTLE

#6074 Black Falcon's Fortress - Castle Draco and the Black Knight
#6067 Guarded Inn - The Town Wall Tavern
#6080 King's Castle - Castle Lion
#6049 Viking Voyager - State barge

TOWN

#6370 Weekend Home - Two Storey Town House (yes, it's spelled with an extra
'e')
#6380 Emergency Treatment Center - Hospital with operating theatre &
ambulance
#6359 Horse Trailer - Horse box and trotting rig
#6381 Motor Speedway - Car Race scene with pit stop

SPACE

#6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager - Taurean Ore Carrier (I've heard about this one
before)
#6891 Gamma-V Laser Craft - Intergalactic Freighter "Dark Star" with
astronaut
#6940 Alien Moon Stalker - Thunderfoot Launcher
#6972 Polaris-I Space Lab - Star Gate Departure Centre

There are many more!  It was really interesting to see how the different
names implied different functions of the sets, especially for the Space
vehicles.

Dave S.

Hey Dave,

I don't have that catalog, but I think I know what you have.  You probably have
a British or Australian Lego catalog.  In the earlier days of Lego, most
catalogs were printed in either Denmark or Germany.  The "storey" and "centre"
are sort of a giveaway.  Is there any mention of a truck being referred as a
"lorry"?  That would be another indication.

When Lego first came to Britain in 1960, USA in 1961, and Australia and Canada
in 1962, practically all the Lego catalogs were produced in Germany or Denmark.
And this continued that way for decades.  Ditto for the rest of Europe.

Gary Istok