 General / 51276
Re: LUGNet shut off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:49:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bob Parker wrote:
   In lugnet.build.mecha, Marco Tagliaferri wrote:

I read in this message by Lenny Hoffman that LUGNet is dying the next two month.

snipped

I would be very, very sad if LUGNet would die. It’s a place where I really like to
stay. The best AFoL forum on the net.

I have been a card carrying member of Lugnet (so much for “lifetime” membership - lol) since 2000 and I would have agreed to your last sentence there wholeheartedly a while ago. But not anymore.

There was a time when Lugnet was the first page I looked at for info on Lego and the people here were very nice. But now, there is too much drivel even when I set my filter very high around here. Too much whining and complaining. It’s too big and bulky and too many non-Lego related parts exist. The time when those additions to .people showed up I felt a disturbance in the force so to speak and in the back of my mind a little alarm bell went off. People have always needed to think more about what they say before hitting the submit button of course, but more and more posters these days need to do this IMHO.

Well, I spent and spend most my time in .build.mecha and .space. I care for the MOC and the LEGO related stuff. As I was tought by my parents I try to treat everybody the way I’d like to be treated.

I have a rule I keep in mind:
Listen - think - talk! never start with the last one. If everybody would behave in that way there would be less missunderstanding, hurting and bulk talking.

As I never stepped into most off the non-LEGO related groups on LUGNet as they are off-topic for me I wasn’t really botherd by them. Sometimes I had problems to understand some reactions and interactions between some members. Well now I’d say they messed up in one of the off-topic areas.

For me this is LUGNet which starts with an L for LEGO. We all shoud try to keep this in mind. We have one thing in common: all of us are FoLs.

Let’s try to make LUGNet the place you remember. And let us stop the whining and bitterness.

And now, I would not be surprised if anything I said starts a series of posts both defending and objecting to what I have typed. Especially those loudmouths who seem to know it all and can’t wait to add their expert opinion but don’t always like to let others say their peace with the same respect.

Bob

Member #404

Bob, as you awaited it I started the series. I hope many others join. May be it’ll help the community if we all think about the points you mentioned.

Marco Member #2645