 General / 51077
51076  |  51078
Subject:
Non-numbered sets in the database (Re: Book Reviews, feedback)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:14:56 GMT

Hello!

Sorry for revitalising an aged thread...

In lugnet.books, Frank Filz wrote:
The guide is intended to only list official LEGO sets (I don't think it even
lists the various official, but non-set items).

The main problem with the database probably is its strict limitation to numbers.
While I like set numbers and actually prefer them over set names (because
numbers are universal while names differ from country to country) this
limitation is not entirely helpful.

There _are_ sets without a number. For example there are some Weetabix sets from
the early Seventies that are without a doubt official sets but don't have the
slightest sign of an official set number. Those are - naturally - missing in the
database. It's obvious why: There is nothing to base a database search on, no
name, no number. Still, sets like these _should_ be in the database, if need be
with a self-invented name like "weetabix-xyz". I don't know, though, if besides
those Weetabix sets other sets (models) exist that came without a number,
meaning my "for example" was a bit upbeat...

Additionally I think everything set-like containing official LEGO elements is
worthy to get incorporated in the database. I'm speaking of stuff that's in the
"Gear" category in the Bricklink database, for example keychains (some are in
the Lugnet database already), picture frames that contain minifigures and
bricks, small polybags with an assortment of bricks for promotional purposes,
tabletop games, watches/clocks and the like. Some of these items come with a
barcode number that would suffice for a set number, some even have an official
name at Shop-at-Home.

I would not like to see incorporated items that already come glued (like i.e.
glued roses you can get at the Legolands or pre-glued sculptures). Just as
little I'd incorporate other Legoland stuff like those foam swords and shields
(unless they come _with_ regular LEGO sets) or clothes like Harry Potter capes
for kids and baseball caps, nor coffee cups, stickers, pencils and other writing
utensils and the like. Basically everything that doesn't include any "real" LEGO
falls in this category. If items in this category _come_ with a number that's
identifiable as a set number (no barcode, no combination of letters and numbers)
they have to be classified as sets of course. For example the number of the
current Knights' Kingdom Chess Set doesn't qualify as a "set number" because it
is G678. Yet it may be used in the database since we don't have anything better.
In case of this Chess set I would label it a "set" anyway because it comes with
real LEGO elements (unglued figs) (see above).

So much for my idle talk.

Bye
Jojo