 General / 51048
Re: Legowiki
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 01:25:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Venkatesh Srinivas wrote:
What languages would people be interested in having at the start of the site?
And  are there people willing/able to translate between languages?

Now about that name. I need to get a final name decided before the Wiki is
launched, since it would be a pain to change after the site software is
installed and people start creating content. What do you think? We have
BrickWiki, LUWiki, LWiki. If anybody could come up with any better names or
think of any reason to use any one of the other suggestions,
please post in this  thread.

Any of those names are fine by me as long as the engines find them, I guess I
like BrickWiki (or WikiBricky, because it rhymes...) best... But I'm just a
gadfly.

... something that implements parts of the LUGNET
Plan that never got implemented and probably never will be, at LUGNET.

What parts of the LUGNET plan were never implemented?

*Many* parts have never been implemented. WRT to a wiki, probably this one part
from the mission:

2. To help people share information about LEGO products and LEGO-related
resources on the World Wide Web by setting in motion a community-driven
knowledge-base.

(from this page: http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/2.html)

I had never known there was a grand LUGNET plan.

http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/ and subpages...

Hope that helps.

(I still think it's a good plan... I found this sentence particularly ironic:
"It is believed that there are large numbers of LEGO enthusiasts on the Internet
who currently know about RTL but avoid it because they feel it has become too
big, too hostile, too political, too commercial, or too ethnocentric." ...
change the date and change 'RTL' to 'LUGNET' and it's  true again!...)

But don't worry about LUGNET and the Plan, worry about whether this is a good
idea and whether you can get the numbers of content creators you need to get it
off the ground.

Is this going to be an independent wiki, or affilated with wikimedia or ??