 General / 50650
50649  |  50651
Subject:
For the Love of the Brick...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:31:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

For crying out loud people!  I leave for a weekend to do a LEGO train show and I
come back to more if the same b-fest???

I have disagreed with Larry on issues in the past--quite vocal at sometimes
too--but the issue was with opinions, not the person.

That said, point to one person who has put as much effort 'on line' into our
little chosen hobby than he. It's bad form to attack the person instead of the
person's opinion--"You're an idiot" opposed to "Your opinion sucks!"

I would be the first to concur that effort does not exempt scruitiny of one's
actions, but if there is an issue, take it up with the actions and opinions, not
the person who has 'em.

As well, from past experience  I know that a person who puts as much effort into
something will be well known, and therefore a 'lightning rod' for the
negativity, and that's just sad, for it will make the person putting in the
effort, well, not really want to put in the effort for the community.

And that's what we're seeing here--already Larry is looking for an assistant
'train admin'--and I believe from parenthatical evidence that this is directly
related to  the fact that we, as the whining audience, pushed him too far
withthe personal attacks and he's thinking that all of it isn't worth the
efforts here at LUGNET.

Some of you would say, "So he's on the way to stepping down??  Well good
riddance".  Id say to those people that that's just sad for we would be losing a
valued member of this society--one who puts in much 'behind the scenes' efforts
on our behalf without thought of compensation and I can guarantee that this
place will be a little diminished if Larry were to leave.

But all this is, of course, just my little perspective of things.  If you are to
take away anything from this at all, take away the idea that healthy debate and
discourse revolves around ideas and opinions--unhealthy debate is directed at
'the person'.  Let's bring this back to the ideas and opinions, no matter whose
they are, and leave the name calling out of it.

k pls thx.

Dave K