 General / 50266
50265  |  50267
Subject:
Rarest 60's Lego Item?? was Re: Frank's first LEGO train set has been a 111
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:34:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Clark Stephens wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

I'd also recommend reading Ben's excellent train site for more information on
variances (like motors, colors, and electronics):
http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/trains/trains.phtml

HTH,
Clark

Thanks Clark,

Maybe Ben would be a good person to proofread the train sections in the CD when
I'm done.

Thanks Clark,

for mentioning the link! And yes, Gary - even if we disagree an some aspects of
modern LEGO which is forbidden to mention in this newsgroup without getting into
danger of beeing outtimed - I would really like to proofread your train section.
Allthough I always wonder again and again about unique things like a (mabe even
faked?) 118 US train set (similar to European 119).

I love these discussions as lately about the 7750-prototype wheels or the
riffled 12-spoke wheels from the 239/242 idea books etc....

Kind regards,

Ben

P.s.: ever seen this?

http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album07/aaf
(from a 722 variation)
or this:

And there are still marvellous things like a motor set 100 which contained a
battery box with white(!!) bottom (as often shown in prototype pictures -
obviously the got into regular sale as well). That appeared last summmer on
1000steine as a misb-set.
Or the sliding doors in defering width a few weeks ago....

TLG made so many variations in sets back then, it gives me a headache on
occasion!  :-)

Gary Istok

Ben,

Have you (or any 1000steine folks) ever seen one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5956492138

All 1962-65 European catalogs show the 1:87 cars with a red garage and a white
base (the base is incorrectly shown as gray in most catalogs, except for the
British ones, which correctly show white).  Here's a 1963 German catalog:

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk63/GK63-2.JPG

The red door/white base garages are unknown to all my German and Danish
collector friends, even though all catalogs show them as red.  I know of only
one other collector (from Yorkshire England) that has one of these.  It appears
that 99.99% of all of these ever produced were with a gray door and a gray base.
This is probably one of the biggest (of many) Lego catalog errors from the
1960's.

Gary Istok

P.S.  I' sending this to lugnet.general