 General / 49289
Re: Lattice windows revisited and modified (wasRe: lattice windows)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:38:34 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.space, Daan Bargerbos wrote:
Hello Anthony, • SNIP

Great ideas!

But I just want to point something out for making it "realistic".  That is ALL
great churches and cathedrals with stained glass do not show the glass color on
the outside.  What that means is from the inside one sees lots of color, but
from the outside it should appear as just trans-clear glass.

I have a book on Chartres Cathedral (35 miles outside of Paris), which just
happens to have the worlds best collection of medieval glass (176 windows of
unsurpassed beauty).  All pictures taken from the outside of this cathedral show
the windows to be rather clear, even though the inside has a kaleidiscope of
colored glass.

I mention this because when I built my own 20,000 piece cathedral (4 feet long x
1 1/2 foot wide) it uses about 2000 clear bricks and plates.  My cathedral is
based on 4 cathedrals:  York Minster and Canterbury Cathedral in England, Notre
Dame and Rheims Cathedral in France.  It has 18 bays (window units) a crossing
tower, and 2 towers over the west front. I would show a picture, but I am saving
it for the cover of my upcoming CD on the history of Lego.  However there is
another idea that I used and that was using clear bricks and 1x1 and 1x2 clear
plates (I got about 500 from 1960's plates parts packs, but they are now readily
available again in Bricklink).  I use them in a SNOT format, rotating the
windows (bricks/plates) 90 degrees.  The clear bricks are layered between levels
of non-clear plates (1x4 or 1x6 or 1x8 in whatever color your church walls will
be) and at the top of the windows I use clear plates staggered to mimic Gothic
tracery.  I found this to be the most realistic way to make great Gothic
windows.  My cathedrals Great West Window now looks alot like the great window
in the dining hall of Hogwarts School in the Harry Potter movie.

Just my 2 cents  ;-)

Gary Istok

A Lego addict since 1960.

Hello Gary Istok,

thanks for your compliment and the 2 cents ideas!
I will be one (of the first?) to buy your CD,
just to see the cover ;-)

Your words on stainglassed windows are correct.
But since it's so difficult to look into Lego buildings,
it's nice to create the effect of stainglass windows,
although they are not realistic.

Your solution swith clear glass bricks and plates
cries for some pictures. Do you have already posted them somewhere
or are they also to be saved for your CD
(one more reason to buy it).
It sounds so good, I'd really like to see an example.

Best regards

Daan Bargerbos
(who happens to be a minister in the Protestant Church in The Netherlands
and is very familiar with stainglassed windows from inside out :)