 General / 49030
Re: LEGO BrickMaster signup in September LEGO Mag
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:28:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote: snip
   The one-year USD$39.99 subscription provides:

I am sure this is a good deal. But it is quite a jump to go from the free Lego Mania/Lego Magazine to a $40 magazine subscription for Lego BrickMaster. As much as I love printed magazines, I can’t justify the cost.

   Exclusive LEGO BrickMaster Welcome Kit (est. value $30)
* Special LEGO BrickMaster Edition of LEGO Digital Designer software (CD-ROM). Design and build hundreds of LEGO models on your computer and print out the instructions.
* 180 great LEGO pieces to build the models you have designed (one model at a time).
* Exclusive building instructions for inspirational models.

The designer software may be neat, but it doesn’t run on my PC - whereas the free MLCAD does. And I think if I wanted the 180 Lego elements, I would just buy a nice Designer set.

Five (5) new LEGO toys mailed right to your door (Total value of 5 sets: $20)
* Get a surprise toy every two months. Surprise sets will arrive every two months after you receive your Welcome Kit. The January surprise toy will be a BIONICLE Rahaga set! Ages 7+.

This almost got me - because I love surprises :) The revelation of what the January surprise would be put the brakes on again ;)

Six (6) LEGO BrickMaster Magazines (est. value $20)
* 36+ pages of LEGO building ideas, sneak previews, comics, contests, special offers and exclusive BIONICLE content just for LEGO BrickMasters. Plus free BIONICLE comic books (Anybody who doesn’t want theirs can just send it to me...)

This is the best part, of course. I do wonder just how much of the magazine will be slanted to Bionicle content, though. The Lego Magazine has a lot of that now. I also wonder if this will be, like the Lego Magazine, just another big marketing tool (direct ads or direct promotions of product vs. creative building ideas). I think I’ll stick to my Brick Clicks back issues.

Free LEGOLAND California Kid’s Ticket (a $36.95 value)

“A LEGO BrickMaster subscription will retail for $39.99. It’s available to US residents only. For more information on how to pre-order, check out the special BrickMaster booklet in the September LEGO Magazine which should arrive next week. Pre-order now and receive your Welcome Kit and first issue by November 30th!”

Well, nice addition if you have children and are ready to pay the adult admission to go with them. Oh, and if you live anywhere near the west coast. ;)

I voted for this in a LEGO survey several months back, and my family will likely end up getting a couple of subscriptions - the kids need their own, of course.

It’s actually something I voted for too. And something I have wanted for awhile (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2580). I don’t mean to be totally negative, but wanted to express my opinion that, for me anyway, the $40 cost makes this rather unappealing.

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com