 General / 48414
Re: Has anyone noticed this? Is it even important?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 01:25:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Anthony Sava wrote:
   In a recent discussion over at Classic-Castle about maces, something came to my attention.

The whole discussion is over this:

It’s a design for a minifig mace that I’ve been using for five years or so. I’ve never had a problem with it, but those who have never tried this style of mace before have complained that this design is flawed. For them, the 8 toothed technic gear does not stay on the rod, it slips. For me, I’ve actually seen these gears crack because the fit was so tight.

So I did some checking through Peeron. Only one version of the 8 toothed gear. Same with Bricklink, only one version.

But when I started digging through my collection, I noticed that there is, in fact, two different versions of the 8 toothed gear.

The older version (left) has much sharper edges than the newer version (right), which has rounded edges. These rounded edges on the newer versions means there is less plasic inside the technic hole, and thus less plastic to grip the rod for the mace design.

The teeth on the two gears also differ. The older style gear has thinner, longer teeth than this newer gear.

Another noticable difference is the newer gear has a lip around the technic hole. It seems that both gears have a sort of a lip around the hole on one side, where the ‘teeth’ in the technic hole are rounded to allow the technic axle an easier time of being pushed through the gear. However on the older gear, on the other side, the ‘teeth’ are flush with the edge of the gear, there is no lip there. With the newer gear’s opposite side, there’s a noticable lip where the ‘teeth’ don’t reach the edge of the gear. You can almost see this in the picture.

Also, though this is not very important, the light grey color on my newer, pre-2004 new style 8 toothed gears (the four or five I have) is a different shade than the older gears. Perhaps a different plastic was used? Or maybe a different temperature was used in making it? Maybe a whole new color onto itself? I don’t know, I’m not knowledgable in these things.

Hi Anthony and All,

I definitely think that this is a different plastic. A softer (and slightly different colored) one. (Not unlike 1x1 lightgrey plate with clip when compared to regular 1x1 lightgrey plate.) I’ve noticed this change some years ago when my fingers stopped to hurt whenever i took the gear off from the axle. (I.e. the old ones hurt, the new ones don’t:-) As for Technic ends, i see it as an improvement; as for other ends, like the one you mention, it is not, since, as far as my experience goes, the new ones don’t stay at all on the rods while the old ones stay. Stay too much, indeed!:-)

Best regards,

Paulo Renato

   Is this something that needs to be addressed? Has this already been addressed? Should there be an official differentiation between the two designs? Does anyone even care? Or is this just something castle-heads need to worry about alone?

--Anthony