 General / 47135
Re: Vault shots from lowlug.nl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 23:50:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Klaas H. Meijaard wrote:
In lugnet.general, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
I found this link on the "Lego User Group of the Lowlands" site at
http://www.lowlug.nl/.

It appears that these are some shots from inside some sort of "Vault" or
museum at Billund. SNIP

If anyone can shed more light on these photos, I would appreciate it.

First: welcome at Lowlug! THE discussion forum in the Netherlands.

Now for the pics: lots of these are mine. So I think I should shed some light on
them.
A few weeks ago Legoland Billund had it's season-opening, and a group of Dutch
and German AFOL-friends (+2 wifes&kids) planned a visit. With former purchases
in the German LEGO Brand-stores we all earned Season passes, so costs were
nicely low.
The rides were waiting for us, the new miniland-buildings needed to be studied, and, not unimportant: we all needed HUGE amounts of normal grey pick-a-brick parts. Well, the parkstore had a good day.....   :-)

The Friday afternoon before the opening day I had organized a visit in the LEGO
Imagination Centre, combined with a meeting/Q&A about upcoming Events, with
Tormod Askildsen ('our' Jake's boss).
In the cellar of this Centre LEGO is redecorating it's museum/historical exhibition. Next to the 'museum-room' is the immens Archive of the firm (both print, marketing-stuff and SETS!). This sets-archive is known as The Vault. And it actually IS a vault..  a huge one!   :-)

We've had an unbelievable terrific tour over there! All these PILES of sets,
some extremely RARE. And, we've spotted sets that are NOT known in any public
database!! Talking about rare! MISB of course...$$$$     :-)
And, one of the other nice parts of this tour: for the first time ever
'outsiders' were allowed to make as many pictures as we wanted, WITH permission
to publish them!! So we did.

The Pirates-pics you mention are mine of course, I'm Pirates-complete, but I
don't own every set MISB. At least I've had some in my hands by now!
The tour lasted only 1,5 hrs., but actually we wanted to stay 'underground' for
at least 1,5 DAYS!

Some last info: the Museum (NOT the archives) and the Imagination Centre can be
visited by every interested AFOL-group of at least 6 persons. The Historical
Overview will be ready in about 3 months from now. Hopefully.... there is SO
MUCH interesting history to be shown!
Just call LEGO HQ-Billund (+45 79 50 60 70) and (try to) make an arrangement
with someone from Corporate Communications. Responsible person in the
Imagination Centre + 'underground' is Mrs. Ingrid Nielsen.
Opening hours: during business days, 8.00-16.30

Kind regards
Klaas H. Meijaard
(greenman, Member 291)

Oh.  My.  God.

You are the luckiest, luckiest person.  I salute you and despise you all at
once.  Thanks so much for the pics.

There's a picture in there somewhere of a STACK of 1593s.  I'd copy and paste
the link but frankly my fingers are too numb.  Aack.  Urk.  Mind hurts

--Dave