 General / 45436
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:05:40 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
I don't want to come off as overly negative or cynical about LEGOfan.net, but
like others who have replied to this thread, I am a huge fan of LUGNET, and very
much see it as *the hub* of the AFOL community.  This is the *one place* where
AFOLs congregate to discuss and show their work.

Yes, for AFOLs... but I'm under the impression that the various integrated
community proposals encompass ALL LEGO fans, not just adults.

FBTB and BZ Power have a much more limited scope, and in my opinion, would have
been better off simply linking to the appropriate LUGNET discussion forums
rather than host their own lesser and competing forums.

I can't speak for FBTB, but BZPower was created specifically because the target
audience didn't flock to Lugnet. The opportunity was there... Lugnet's Bionicle
forum was the first place I visited in 2001. But it was anemic, and there was a
level of hostility to the theme (since diluted) that made it difficult for
people to want to post there. BZCommunity, later BZPower, was born as a direct
result of Lugnet's lack of enticement for the core Bionicle audience - namely,
children.

So today BZPower has 16,000+ members and has amassed a million and a half posts
in the last 2 and a half years. It also has 2 million hits per DAY, with an
average of 14,000 daily visitors from 80+ countries. The scope is obviously
restricted to Bionicle, and in that sense it performs a service for both people
who are interested in that theme, and those who would rather not be associated
with it.

Lugnet, while serving the needs of the adult audience, obviously didn't fill
those of a separate large audience. From that example, I'd say there is
definitely room for a larger community, whether it's WorldLUG or LEGOFan.net or
something else.

Regards,
Kelly