 General / 45431
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:00:39 GMT

In lugnet.build, Jake McKee wrote:

Let me first trim down the newsgroup list - it was fine for the general
annoucement, but would everyone responding take a moment to reduce the list to
something more appropriate?

Secondly, LUGNET is a site meant for adults. While the stray kid may wander in
from time to time, the purpose of the site is really directed to adults. Nothing
wrong with that at all, but since a vast majority of our audience is kids, it’s
a bit problematic, support-wise.

One of the tings that struck me about the Classic-Castle site is the greater
proportion of young people posting.  And whereas I have to put up with a certain
amount of inane posting, I think it is good that they have enthusiasm, post in a
positive manner, and learn to write and communicate while sharing their
enjoyment of a hobby.

So the bigger question in my mind is this issue of LEGOFan being a “corporate
mouthpiece”. I can understand the concern, but that is not my intention in the
slightest. Far from it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  So, down the road, when someone
else changes the corporate mind for them?  Or somebody wants to show their Mega
Bloks creation?  Or make a disparaging comparison of MB (or some other
competitor) to Lego?  I'm not saying that anyone (currently) wants this to
happen, or that it will happen, but it is a concern.  What needs to be addressed
is what kind of support Lego might give, what strings are attached to that
support, and what will be the consequences if that suport is withdrawn, and
discussed in a calm and reasonable fashion by all - I am merely voicing concern,
not hurling accusations.

The LEGOFan concept is meant to be a hub, a place for new and old users alike to
keep up with all the amazing things happening in the community. It’s meant to
deliver age/interest appropriate content to you. It’s meant to capture
interested builders and turn them into hard core fans. And it’s meant to help
existing AFOLs keep up with the massive amounts of cool things happening in the
community.

Perhaps it is just me, but I'm not really getting a clear picture (I've only
waded through half this thread so far) of what LEGOFan is offering in the way of
something new and unique.  BrickLink offers a way for buyers and sellers to
acquire/get-rid-of Lego, Brickshelf offers a picture hosting service, Lugnet
offers a ton of centralized forums, Classic-Castle offers a theme-specific
tailored site.  A hub?  Sounds like just a link service.  News site?  Lugnet
already serves as that.  Age interest?  Okay, that may work, though I don't
understand what LEGOFan will do that specifically addresses that.

In my mind it’s also meant to do something else: Provide a next step after
LEGO.com. We are currently getting around 4.5 million unique visitors a month to
LEGO.com (all ages), a number that has continued to climb nearly every month
since re-launching our Web site in September 2000. What happens to them and
their interest in the brick once they have “used up” the content on LEGO.com? Do
we let them slip away and move on to other activities? Or do we capture their
hearts and minds to ensure they transition into being AFOLs? If it’s the second
option, how do we do that?

I'm not sure whether that is a hobby concern or a corporate concern.  All you
have to do is point them to existing sites, but they aren't on the corporate
leash.  I understand Lego's concerns about recommending sites and then having
them confused with actual Lego endeavors, the muddying of the company trademark,
etc.

-->Bruce<--