 General / 45046
Re: Over 70 LEGO products copied
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:07:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Erik Bush wrote:
   Hey All,

Did anyone hear about all the “copies” of lego products? TLC posted this on the 14th http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=pressdetail

This article tells about many of the “copies” that other companies makes. ...

Err - did my post from yesterday get pulled, or just lost? I was wondering what the problem with the “Best-Lock” JCB was - I’ve seen them in the UK, and they don’t appear to clone either a specific Lego set or recent elements. It has a lot of custom elements in it instead.

Hi Jason: Best-Lock caused quite a stir when it hit the fan on RTL a few years ago, largely because of initial perceptions that the Best-Lock minifigs were so similar to LEGO. As it turned out, they were rather different, as were the bricks, but the brouhaha was fun while it lasted.

Best-Lock has had a number of sets that were visually quite similar to the LEGO Town and Pirates themes, even if the bricks themselves weren’t 100% compatible. I can’t recall with certainty, but I seem to remember that the packaging of Best-Lock sets originally claimed to be compatible with LEGO and MEGABLOKS, mentioning those two brands by name. LEGO has often taken issue with this kind of claim, because it may be interpreted as an endorsement of Best-Lock by LEGO. Currently, the claim is that Best-Lock is compatible “with the leading brand,” which is sufficiently non-specific to avoid litigation, I suppose.

Best-Lock isn’t quite a full-blown clone because the bricks don’t follow the same proportions as LEGO bricks, whereas MEGABLOKS (a true clone, if you will) does use the same dimensions. For example the proportions of a LEGO 2x4 brick (excluding the studs) are 3x5x10 (height x depth x length), while Best-Lock is 1x2x4 (just like the monolith, now that I think about it. Hmm...) Additionally, LEGO studs are 1/6 the height the body of the brick, but Best-Lock is, IIRC, 3/10 the height of the brick’s body (again, excluding the stud’s height from the brick’s overall height).

Dave!