 General / 44100
Re: how to transport lego by air
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:09:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
I am going to be going on a holiday over xmas, part of which includes
meeting some AFOLs and hopefully going to a BUGS meeting (Brisbame lego club).

Being the kind of person that I am, I want to make some kind of moc or mocs
to take over and show off.

Part of the travel will be by air.
There will also be travel in a hire-car and on a bus.
Its all domestic travel.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is/isnt a good thing to take
and more importantly how to take it?
Is it safe to trust it to airport baggage handlers or should I take it
in-cabin?

I do this a fair bit since I travel a lot.

Carryon (or hand, or in-cabin, depending on your usage) is best if you can
arrange it. Check the clothes and stuff, keep the stuff you really care about
close at hand and under your control.

But if you must check something it helps if that thing is sturdy to start with,
and is packed in a way to cushion it from shock. Wrap it in bubble wrap then a
layer of clothes and put it in the center of a hard suitcase or in a box.
Fragile stickers are supposed to help but if Oz baggage handlers are like US
ones I don't think they really do. The basic movement mechanism for baggage
handlers is to throw things and they are working so fast that they often throw a
fragile thing before they see the sticker. (that's been my observed findings, I
tend to watch those guys loading since I'm usually among the very first on
board).

Hope that helps. It's definitely worth bringing your stuff, don't be scared,
just plan that you may have to do some rebuilding of it.