 General / 44049
44048  |  44050
Subject:
A far more insidious change to the brick!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 02:08:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey all,

WOW!  I check in after a few weeks and the whole world ended!  I'm adopting
a wait-and-see approach to the color change, although having so many
different grays will be annoying and time-consuming purely from a sorting
standpoint.

The change that I feel is more disruptive is the change from "fingered"
hinges to click-hinges.  I've noticed recently that "fingered" hinges have
completely disappearred and have been replaced by the new click-hinge
styling.  This replacement for the most is ok, but I have one big gripe.
The old-style Space Shuttle Bay Door piece (y'all know the one I mean?) in
the "fingered" style forms a nice, tight seal where the wall piece and the
1x4 plate come together.  The new click-hinge style has a huge gap between
the wall piece and the 1x4 plate.  The same gap appears in the regular 4x5
click-hinge plate.

I don't like this big gap as it introduces a fatal flaw if you're trying to
build something that's supposed to have an airtight or watertight seal.
Even if this seal is not required by your MOC, I still think that the
click-hinge arrangement, at least in these two pieces, looks too "toyish."
Additionally, many of the new click-hinge pieces cannot be used in the same
way as their "fingered" counterparts because the click-hinge mechanism is
too bulky.  For instance, if you place two 4x4 plates side by side you can
then attach a "fingered" 1x5 hinge plate underneath.  The two plates can
then be bent at an angle and then returned to their former flush position.
This cannot be acheived with click-hinges.  You must add an additional plate
layer between the plates and the click-hinge.

There is also the fact that click-hinges have a fixed number of positions or
angles, while the "fingered" hinge usually allows access to all 180 degrees
of rotation.  You never know when you might need exactly 89 degrees!

After all this nitpicking I should say that I like most of the new
click-hinge pieces, especially the new 1x7 liftarm ball socket rotational
assembly found in the SE Naboo figher stand and some Bionicle sets.  I
suspect that I'm going to get into a huge Mech rut with the Bricklink order
I just received (almost 30 of 'em!).  However, I thought that the
click-hinge was a new part, not a replacement part.  So forget the grays,
start collecting those "fingered" hinge pieces!

Dave