 General / 43767
Re: Petition against permanent color changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:23:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
(snip)
I really like to use however I have far too much invested in my light and dark
Grey to be able to over look this. Currently I have probably 4+ thousand dollars
worth of these colors.

  The new colors are nice but unrealistic for sidewalks or other realistic
objects due to their blue tint.
(snip)

Ya know, anyone with $4000 worth of the now-so-called "muddy" grey parts oughtta
be able to build any sized sidewalk they wanted to.  And Jake's mentioned a
prospect of parts packs in the old colors, too.  Between that and Bricklink,
everyone interested in obtaining a gargantuan amassal will still have plenty.

If anything, any and all changes thus just increase the value of old sets/parts;
from the standpoint of collectors/traders, this is good news in otherwise
stagnant times for the market (especially for Space!).  And from the standpoint
of builders, it means there's gonna be new colors out there to play with.
That's good too.

One more thing.  It's a well-known fact, given by Lego reps themselves at LUG
meetings, etc. (or so I have read in the transcriptions), that we AFOLs make up
something like 1% of their market.  So let it be known that even if we all hated
it and stopped buying new product, it's my admittedly pessimistic opinion that
our 1% would PALE compared to a probable INCREASE of sales that introducing
"newer, brighter colors," along with a big, shiny marketing campaign, would do.

So while I'm usually all for speaking out against oppression, no matter what the
odds, whaddya say we choose our battles?  Wait until they change all the
mini-figures or something else REALLY hideous before drawing up paperwork and
mounting a mutiny/boycott/whatever?  :o)

--Dave