 General / 42927
42926  |  42928
Subject:
Clickits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.clikits
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:17:50 GMT

Hey:

The serious compatibility problem “Clikits” elements have in relation to regular lego bricks and plates has largely already been explained here: http://www.landofbricks.com/clikits.html

What was not emphasized enough was the extreme importance of the element described by Mark as a “clickee,” but that I would probably call a “female snap.” See the female snap below and here: http://www.landofbricks.com/sets/clikits/3.jpg

The female snap allows one to join regular lego studs with unique Clikits elements such as these: http://www.landofbricks.com/sets/clikits/7.jpg

The above is sort of the “male snap” as it snaps into its female counterpart.

Trippetta bought a set of Clikets (#7508) and I immediately recognized that the set did not come with many of the female snap elements -- frankly, only four of them, and two of them were of the less useful trans-orange color. It did come with two in trans-clear, which are obviously more useful because they are color neutral. TWO!!! Of the many Clikits elements that could be used in conjunction with regular lego ONLY VIA THE FEMALE SNAP ELEMENT one would only have access to as few as 4 with this set even though many more male snaps were included. That’s just crazy in terms of marketing, in my view. What were they thinking?

Mark commented elsewhere that these Clikits sets might be a good source of flowers for builders, but I think not. Unless some other Clikits set has a plethora of the clear female snap elements these sets are not going to be very useful to traditional lego builders at all. One way to correct this problem might be for S@H to offer up an accessory bag of clear, or possibly other neutral colored, female snap elements -- that might make a big difference to builders. If there were greater access to the female snap, I would actually suggest that the set was a good deal -- but as it stands, it’s not a very good deal at all.

-- Hop-Frog