 General / 41782
41781  |  41783
Subject:
My dear Lugnet friends and comrades (and all others who don't think they apply)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:14:15 GMT

FUT Off-topic.fun for a lack of a better place.

Hi.

If you don't know who I am, I'm sure you've seen me post from time to time.

I'm Anthony.

I run the little website found here:
http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros

And that's the problem... that's all I do.

I graduated last May (that's 2002 for you who're keeping score), and I have yet
to not only find a job, but I have yet to recieve any interviews.  The only
people who have called me are headhunters looking to make money off me, and
even THEY can't find me work.

But then again, my fault for majoring in IT, right?

Of course my dream-job would be a Master-Builder for LEGO, but that's probably
the dream of 98% of us here on Lugnet.  I'd settle for being an IT man for LEGO
or LEGO-direct though, as long as it was in the United States.  (Jake?  Brad? :)
just kidding)

It's a good thing my parents are nice people.  I have $7 to my name, counting
the $2 in my wallet.  I'm desperate to buy LEGO! ;)  ...and to move out and be
on my own and all that.  Oh yeah, and then there's that wedding that I've
somehow gotta get ready for in a year and some change.  (Are your heart-strings
pulled yet? :)

So.

I was sending out resumes... again

And filling out applications... again

And when I came up to the part for professional contacts, I came up rather
empty handed.  Seeing as though I've just (using the term loosely) graduated I
have just one contact - my old roommate who hasn't graduated yet and hasn't
moved out of his college job and into his career-oriented one.

They say it's all about who you know, right?

And I was thinking about Lugnet and I said to myself:

"Self?"  (which is what I call myself)

I said "Self?  There are a lot of working adults on Lugnet.  I mean, they're
your peers, right?  You are involved in the same type of things.  There are
probably a few working professionals who just might be willing to put their
neck on the line for you, you poor sap."

So that's my request.

Anyone willing to stick their neck out for this poor LEGO-addicted fellow and
allow me to use them as a professional contact?  (Jake?  Brad? :) kidding again)

Ideally I would like to stay in the state of Texas, but I know that's being
rather restrictive.  I'm not willing to move out of the United States (no
offense intended, all you international folks), and I'd rather not move out of
the continental 48 states (again, no offense intended).

But if any of you have job ideas for me, or perhaps have some inside info on job
openings, I'd be glad to hear em!

Here's my resume', sans-delicate info, for all you possible contacts, as well
as any human rescource people reading ;)   Some of you might think I'm giving
away too much info, but I'd probably tell most of this info to any stranger who
asked the right questions.  I really have no problem with people knowing where
I've worked, where I went to school and such.

-----------------------
Anthony J. Sava III
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
El Lago, TX XXXXX
Tel: (XXX) XXX-XXXX
Email: savatheaggie@yahoo.com

Objective
Entry-level position in Information Technology (Networks/Systems), Management
Information Systems, Internet Development and Graphic Design, or
Project/Business Programming

Education
Bachelor of Business Administration in Information and Operations Management
Management Information Systems career track
Lowry Mays College and Graduate School of Business
Texas A&M University

Chosen Electives:
Supply Chain Management, Global Marketing, Web-Enabled Applications

Experience with these Programs and Programming Languages:
Basic, Visual Basic, Pascal, COBOL, ASP, C, Java, JavaScript, SQL, Unix,
Microsoft Access, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Photoshop, Persistence Of Vision
(POV) Ray Tracing, CAD

Employment
6/02-Present Studio Sava, El Lago, Texas
Webmaster, develop web pages; manage updates, create web page graphics and
images. Website is located at http://users3.ev1.net/~ajsava/index.html

8/00-12/01
Texas A&M Bus Operations, College Station, TX
Operated and performed preventative maintenance on Thomas and Blue Bird built
mass transit busses.  Transported Texas A&M Faculty, Staff and Students in and
around campus unsupervised while managed by operators via two-way radio.
Directly interfaced with management and customers on a daily basis.

6/99-8/99
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc,  Pasadena, TX
6/98-8/98
Served as cashier and pet-department associate during peak hours.  Entrusted
with the handling and cataloging of multiple hundreds of dollars each shift.
Handled and restocked merchandise on the sales floor and in the rear storage
facility.  Gained experience with customer relations and problem solving.

Additional Information
Some jobs list a required amount of industry experience I do not yet have in my
chosen field.

However, I do have 2 years of experience developing, refining, and maintaining
my own website, http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros, which has yielded much personal
fulfillment and many compliments from my contemporaries, with whom I share
interests in LEGO, medieval history, digital imaging, and the Internet. I
developed the website using Microsoft Notepad and Netscape Composer, and
manipulated the digital images using Adobe Photoshop. Even though I was not
paid (i.e., salary, commission, etc.,) for the project, it has helped me
improve my skills in web development, image manipulation, and programming in
general, and throughout its life cycle. I have resolved problems and
difficulties that may have presented themselves had I been on someone's payroll
or contract, and, of course, some that would not have, given the nature of the
focus of my website. I have a second website of similar focus and utilization
of skills, located at www.ozbricks.net/ikros/chaos.html.

I have subsequently developed a website for the fledgling enterprise of a
family member who is an artist in oils and acrylics, again providing the
graphics design and implementation in HTML,
http://users3.ev1.net/~ajsava/index.html.  I am a quick study, a willing
worker, and a proficient developer in some of the common tools of business and
e-business, e.g., COBOL, C, HTML, Java, Pascal and Photoshop. I enjoy
programming in these languages, and I enjoy the graphics work that I have
included in my website work, including LDraw, (ref: www.ldraw.org) which is a
CAD program specialized for LEGO users, and rendering graphic images
orthogonally in perspective using Persistence Of Vision (POV) Ray Tracer (ref:
www.povray.org).

I have also won peer awards on three occasions for computer aided design
projects:
Model of the Month 7/01, 12/01, 5/02:
www.ldraw.org/community/contests/

I studied the German language for two years in High School, with one year of
full immersion. Although I have not had the occasion for recent practice,
several members of my family are fluent in German, and with some practice I
feel I could speak the language again reasonably quickly.

Willing to relocate.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for giving me your time!  I realize this is a
long shot, but after 10 months, what could it hurt?

Feel free to reply or email me.

--Anthony