 General / 41743
  Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Over the better part of the last year, I've done a lot of thinking about the LEGO hobby and the LEGO community, trying to develop a philosophy on it which I use to channel my efforts, energies, and interactions. I'm interested in hearing others' (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community) !!

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

My quick answer is this: Every fan of LEGO who wants to be part of this community is. No need to post on a website, to have a folder on Brickshelf or be member of BrickLink, a LUG or the FLL... Everyone, even the ones stil ignoring about this (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I think by using the word community, it specifys a specific group. Lugnet seems to represent the LEGO internet community. In order for us to be considered as a community not as individuals, we must work together, sharing ideas and enjoying (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Me too! (...) One of the things I have noticed, is, when I have met people who are on the "fringes" of the community, I guess they don't realize how much we all would like them to a part of this experience. I figure the top percent of people (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) My thoughts are that there are many aspects of the LEGO community...as you mention later, there are those with different interests with LEGO from Bionicle to Mindstorms. And the common thread of all of these groups that make an overall (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) But Lugnet is NOT the only internet community of LEGO fans, so calling Lugnet "the LEGO internet community" is innapropriate. Actually, "the LEGO internet community" is (URL) since the word order implies ownership by or direct association with (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:HD21C7.1yst@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) WHEW! This is quite a topic to cover! But, hey, I like it :-) (...) As someone has already mentioned, LEGO is a medium. If someone uses that medium (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Hi Tim, These kind of conversations are what help us develop as a community. I applaude you for bringing it up. Its nice to see us going a step beyond merely coming together to share likes and dislikes. By stimulating this type of (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

"Adrian Egli" <aegli@san.rr.com> skrev i meddelandet news:HD34nv.uo8@lugnet.com... (...) a (...) I don't agree with you there! At least if by 'the medium' you only mean real, physical bricks. I haven't got much opportunity to build with real Lego, (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Thanks, Felix. (...) I haven't had time to formulate thoughts in reply to the other posts, but they're floating around in my head somewhere. You bring up a very good point, I think. Some individuals identify only with some components of "the (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Great topic, Tim! Hmm... Well time for Hendo to babble again... :) In my analysis, the term "Lego Community" is a group of humanity that reaches far beyond any of the limitations you have suggested. The entire Lego Community includes TLC (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes: SNIP (...) HUGE SNIP (...) basically, any one that plays or works with ANY Lego building product. Jeff (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Certainly anyone who does is welcome, but perhaps being a part of the community, or one of many 'LEGO communities' is a matter of individuals actively identifying with such groups...? -Tim (21 years ago, 10-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) My personal feeling is that the "LEGO community" doesn't really exist. That is to say there isn't a singular entity that can qualify to classify the group that might make up this definition. But rather, in my mind what you might really be (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I don't disagree, but being a member of 'The friendliest place on the internet', I like the idea that people 'into Lego' are automatically included just because they are intrinsically valued as people to begin with. Hmm...here's a (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Okay, it looks like you must have had a nice amount of time on your hands in order to come up with such a question - time I would normally spend building. (...) Step back and look at the arrangement of themes. For some reason, the community (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Isn't pondering the unaswerables pretty much what philosphy is generally about? You seemed to be interested in writing a lot in response to a question you didn't seem to deem worthy of answering. You seem to want to disagree with this post on (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I have pondered this sort of topic a bit. I have intentionally only read one post here so as not to color my thoughts up front. Only a couple of small points frist on the LEGO 'community.' It's hard to say 'what' that is. I generally consider (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Hey Ken - Thanks for posting this. I happened across your post first, then Matt's. I was very close to posting a reply I had written to his post, but didn't want to taint the thread with something negative. I think the ideas put forth in this (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) LOL - oh what a dork I am! I just tried raising that question in a reply earlier in your post here, without realizing you raised it yourself a few lines down. Glad I didn't post it and make a fool out of myself :^) [1] Anyways... I've seen (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Carefull! That's how I got started with them too. Now my collection has exploded into almost every set of the series ;-) But does that make me part of the LEGO community? Probably. But more so does the fact that I _say_ I am part of it. Think (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) The Community Development team (the team I am on), spent some time looking at this same question. As you can imagine, we get LOTS of questions internally about "What is community anyway?" To address that question, we developed a generic (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community) !!

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) [sniii...iiip] (...) WOW. This is really cool! I wish I had time to reply inline to some of the stuff you came up with. I think this is a great definition, and I'm glad you posted it. -Tim (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) When I had left the service back in '99 and discovered that LEGO made trains...my jaw had hit the floor! And I was totally engrossed in LEGO (and the online AFOL community). However, since that time I have become involved in other hobbies as (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Hey I was just wondering what IMHO stands for... thanks! Matt C. (21 years ago, 12-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Please see Shiri Dori’s Acronym FAQ: (URL) will help you also with the other ones that you may encounter, and some are just plain fun to read. With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen. (21 years ago, 12-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Jake, The problem with your definition is that, superficially anyway, it comes very close to excluding people like me. Since coming out of my dark ages almost 3 years ago I have been one of your employer’s best supporters (trying the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Alright! Getting some discussion going! (I can talk about this stuff for days!) (...) But not everyone *is* part of a community right? Take a local town/community for instance. To be part of that community, you have to actually live in that (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

WOW - Great discussion. I just happened to stumble across this discussion and I couldn't resist throwing my ideas into the pot. When talking about any "community" I think it's important to remember that any community can be defined in different (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) :-) Glad you enjoy the discussion. Thanks for contributing to it - I think it's a good thing to keep going a little bit. I could have just emailed a few friends my original, but then thought, why not post to everyone? Especially when I know (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) This seems to say that Lugnet is old. In my mind, Lugnet is still one of the more recent LEGO communities. When alt.toys.lego (which came years before rec.toys.lego) became a Usenet newsgroup, it certainly met your definition of a community. (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I'm glad you started this Tim, I'm really enjoying this discussion. ... (...) It was my assumption that if there's a "Community Development Manager" then LEGO Direct, at least, has an interest in the identifying and reaching the LEGO Community (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Glad to bring it up. I can't claim ownership to the topic though. Though I've spent a lot of time personally brainstorming this, I've also had a lot of conversations with various other people in the community on the topic - a lot of which has (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I am sure it also happened to you: you see a thumbnail on BrickShelf and immediatly you know who is the model author. Lego is much more unlimited than i thought at first. Each builder has unique building style and techniques. And also a unique (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Hi Damien - I'm afraid I don't totally understand what you're getting at. I've built projects with other LEGO fans, and shared the experience of building projects with them. I've built things that would not have become what they did were it (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I've found this discussion to be one of the most interesting topics on LUGNET in a long time. Thanks, Tim, for bringing it up. There have been tons of thoughtful responses so far, which seems to suggest that there _is_ a community and that we (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:HDCzKx.Bvo@lugnet.com... (...) <snipped> (...) excludes (...) the (...) Ditto. If the Escher thread going now is NOT sharing what each of us sees and expriences when we view that work(of art I (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

"Damien Guichard" <damien.guichard@wanadoo.fr> skrev i meddelandet news:HDCyp9.8rw@lugnet.com... (...) I don't agree. There are many ways where you *actually* share the experience, not only by watching: - Build together - I do it all the time with (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

I find that I'm doing a lot of thinking in new directions thanks to this discussion. Two major directions are - 1. What is the LEGO Community anyway? and 2. How do I, personally, relate to that community? Defining the LEGO Community - I've looked at (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Yes - I'm pleased that it seems there are plenty of others with a broad focus, I wasn't expecting quite the level of response the thread has gotten. (...) In any community, people are excluded because the group or elements of the group push (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) FUT .space. What do you say fellas? Imagine a new LSC (Lego Space Club) showing up at a Sci Fi convention and dominating a whole corner with Moonbases and SHIPs... I bet a number of visitors would be converted over from collecting comic-book (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) For someone who has shyed away from the community over the past year or so, I feel that I may be able to answer some questions: I believe that the culture here includes everyone, especially the casual fan of Lego. But I think that the reason (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Haha! I love it. Now, I really am enjoying this entire thread, but my line of thinking is diverging a little (thus the change in subject line). A question comes to my mind about how we refer to ourselves within the "community". Why do we need (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) YES! Man I'm really not getting work done today. Stopped by the post office with my taxes, visited a local shopkeeper. Posting in this silly thread. Well, the thread isn't silly, but it's silly that I'm not getting my work done! (...) The TFOL (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Pretty funny! Damien (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Yes, that's sharing building experience and you are lucky. My only sharing experience ended with "i don't need you, i have more lego than you anyway". Ok you share building experience. I mean you don't share building skills. You construct your (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Hi Damien - (...) I'm sorry to hear that. Most of the people I build with have more LEGO than I do. I have quite a bit, perhaps just under 100,000 pieces. But, I still don't have the parts to construct what I really want to, which is part of the (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Looking back in the thread, I think I was the one who began talking about "adult" here, although the phrase "Adult Fan of LEGO" (AFOL) seems to have been created quite a while ago. I find that I mention adult LEGO fans almost in self defense. (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) IMHO, the AFOL term was used just to give this group a sense of identity. Sure, any old kid can say he plays with Lego, but all he might do is just buy sets and make them, or just collect Bionicle figures. We actually take Lego to the next (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?

(...) Yep. (...) True. I think it's great to encourage those kids who don't build LEGO on this level to explore it. I have gained a new appreciation for Bionicle recently, at BricksWest and at a friend's house a couple weeks ago. His kids have a lot (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I definitely have caught on to the idea that LEGO fans aren't one community, but several communities. We use the term "the LEGO community" to signify people who are seriously interested in LEGO and LEGO-related topics, and who build (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes: <snip> (...) Yeah, I've always been a big fan of the concept. Granted, I don't build with it, but I think it is a brillant way to get gets building and learning about basic mechanics. The audience for these (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I used to be on the side of encouraging clubs to not have age requirements, however, under more consideration, I'm more open to the idea. In my opinion, the biggest reason is the way our country handles child abuse allegations. Because of the (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Many thanks Tim, your reply is really encouraging. I currently try to figure out the best way to write a building tutorial. The three major difficulties are: 1. It is REALLY intimidating to write the first tutorial ever. I don't want to be (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Don't be afraid to advocate techniques over others, but explain why one is 'better.' I don't think anyone will argue with you that interlocking bricks is better than stacking one on top of each other when building a wall :-) (...) You can show (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Hey Frank - Wish I could devote time to replying to this inline -- but gotta get moving on other stuff tonight. I totally understand the concerns with this. I'm not sure our club's approach to handling this, save the parents' involvement with the (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Absolutely Nothing! :) (Was: Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?)

I have one particular spin on lego building/playing/sculpting that strikes me quite personally. I had it in my splash page for a while at my bricklink store but Ill give you the edited down version here: (Be forwarned, its based upon my experience (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

A better question would be, why do people come (...) got (...) Well, I discuss religion with respect to Legos because my spiritual relationship to Christ is the focus of my life and EVERYTHING else is secondary. If it were possible I wouldnt take a (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Absolutely Nothing! :) (Was: Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?)

(...) Hi David! Although I am no longer among the faithful, I must agree with the sentiment that there is value in keeping young at heart! Religious or not, I love your explanation of how you have come to appreciate the importance of being a child. (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) From someone whose interest has waned... Lugnet and the clubs that have formed through meeting here have a collective personality, for better or worse. I find this community to be competitive, opinionated and territorial. That's okay. I can be (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I definitely concur on that point. (...) On many points, I hear ya there. I'm trying to bring discussions about the community out in the open, since my efforts behind the scenes and in personal projects have not been successful - partially due (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) My personal feeling is that there are some unwritten rules that strongly *discourage* talking about a LEGO model that someone posts. I certainly have the impression that no matter how well-intentioned, if there is a single sentence in a (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Constructive criticism vs. sugar coating (was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

Hi Mike - Great comments! (...) Yep. I think it's not too cool when people are afraid to post constructive criticism. I think though, people only get upset at posters when they say something blatantly negative about a model - which discourages (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Constructive criticism vs. sugar coating (was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Hi Tim, I've been reading this post with fascination and hope I'm not replying too late. First, thanks for bringing up such an interesting topic! For me, LUGNET is a great way to catch up on Lego-related news, and I consider myself a member of (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Constructive criticism vs. sugar coating (was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Ummm...no, that would be me. (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  The "LUGNET community" vs. the "LEGO community," and computer literacy

(...) Hi Michael - (...) Not at all! In fact, I think as this thread continues, we're getting better and better responses, getting down to the meat of things. (...) There are many LEGO fans which fit that description. More than half of my train club (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I don't give people the full art-school style firm, no-nonsense critique - which I'm perfectly capable of doing, having come up through the Long Beach State illustration program and have had as many as 10 artists working for me on software (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Constructive criticism vs. sugar coating

(Speaking of sugar coating... After reading through this post again I can see that there's bits in here to offend probably every single person who reads it. What can I say? I can only advise the casual reader that if you find yourself strongly (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Constructive criticism vs. sugar coating

Quoting Mike Rayhawk <rayhawk@artcenter.edu>: [snipped everywhere] (...) Why didn't this ever occur to me?! I might have to print some up and keep them in my wallet! Man! Year's wasted! Now if only I could come up with some sort of easy format "joke (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

(...) It gets worse: Lego, computer message boards, gaming. The last is damning! No emoticons to soften that. Happy? (which comes off as snippy for those who don't realize I'm a long-time gamer, which illustrates the problems with the written word) (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Constructive criticism vs. sugar coating

Hi Mike - (...) Well, I'm not offended by any of it :-) I think it's all good stuff moving the discussion forward. (...) LOL! (...) I'm not offended in the least. I've long known that, ever since starting to LEGOfest even way back to 1999. I think (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

Snip a LOT... Wow, I just posted, but Bruce, you put it far better than I could have, I think! :-) -Tim (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The "LUGNET community" vs. the "LEGO community," and computer literacy

(...) Okay, I've read this several times, and I still don't get it. How is the setup for LUGNET posting confusing? Links from the main page ((URL) and from a page that appears each time you post through the Web interface take you to (URL) page is (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

(...) lol I was hoping someone would pick up on that! It's like the triple crown of geekdom. (...) Well no, you're one of the people I view as ignoring the criticism and going straight to jumping on Tom. Nothing wrong with that, since you seem to (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The "LUGNET community" vs. the "LEGO community," and computer literacy

(...) Keep in mind, people who just discover LUGNET, or who do not participate in the newsgroup discussion are going to visit (URL) You scan the front page and what do you see? A link to LUGNET membership. MANY I have talked to have confused (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

(...) I just got a huge 5' by 9' green indoor/outdoor carpet for a Fantasy Rules! miniatures battle with Lego. Geek, geek, geek. Still, I could ratchet it up one more notch by using a game actually designed for Lego (which I keep meaning to do). (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

(...) Dare I point out that some people <gasp> post MOCs of Dr. Who and Star Wars models.... eeyaaah! I feel the sudden need to run out, grab a cheap light beer, and watch a football game while grunting at other "non-geeky" men. Maybe that will cure (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

(...) I tried that strange liquid you refer to as 'cheap light beer' once. Blech. Gimme an import - does that make me more geeky? -Tim (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  posting setup

(...) That's a really good point. We should make this a lot easier to find. (...) This would be ideal. All the sign-up and set-up stuff is sorely overdue for a rework. I'll be giving this some serious attention in May when I get back from San (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: posting setup

(...) Yep, I've noticed (in fact, I think I was a catalyst, from some recent mails) ;-) Thanks for this! (...) I would much appreciate a feature to easily be able to post from multiple addresses! When I fanned out, and added a brickmedia.com and an (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: posting setup

(...) Portland actually. Steve says: "Yours are too small." --Todd (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: posting setup

(...) No love for the 1.5-wides? Aww. Engineer Max (oh the resemblance: (URL) "watch 6-wide Thomass get rammed by bulky 8-wide cars." (URL) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: posting setup

(...) Doh! Typo...funny one at that. -Tim (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains)

  online communites

howD all, as a professional online community manager and developer, i also agree that the lego community needs to "get w/ the program" as it were. online communities are held together by sharing standards among multiple kinds of websites re: their (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

(...) Hey, don't discriminate on age! :) Though, some younger teenagers tend to go through mood swings in which they alternatively moan about how bad the world is and then suddenly respond to evey MOC posted in the past month or so. Also, some less (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The "LUGNET community" vs. the "LEGO community," and computer literacy

(...) I agree. Let's all keep this in mind over the next few weeks as the setup/sign-up stuff on LUGNET is overhauled and keep our collective eyes out for points of confusion. (...) I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The core purpose of LUGNET (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Constructive criticism vs. sugar coating

(...) See movie-comics.com, in the archives.. one of the characters, IIRC, was a guy who just holds up signs with emoticons and internet abbreviations like LOL. Pretty funny (one of my fave bits of the comic actually) HTH! (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The "LUGNET community" vs. the "LEGO community," and computer literacy

(...) [...] (...) Cool. (...) A good goal for LUGNET to have. What I'm trying to get to is this; I believe, based on what I've heard coming out of discussions with many different types of LEGO fans, there are (sometimes quite valid) perceptions (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Obnoxious geekdom

(...) You have no idea just how high the scale goes, you should see some of the things people have showed me over the years. I was pretty impressed by the Palm OS BrikWars calculator, and then there was a guy who made a Java app that let you play (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Constructive criticism vs. sugar coating

(...) Yay, great, a Believer!... (...) Hrm, uh, er, maybe not... (...) Yay, he Believes again!... (...) Nevermind, he's degenerated into calling me insane... NOTE: ;-) END NOTE. I'm politically incorrect, but progressive (I consider Political (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

(...) I've flamed very few people on Lugnet. Maybe you just have a sore spot because you were one of them? (...) Well, we agree on something else. I find you too obnoxious for words too. Of all the people on Lugnet I ignore, Scott is the #1 on the (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating

(...) Oh, come now. Read all my posts on Lugnet. Not just the ones in .debate or just this thread, ALL of them. Then come back and tell me I like to see how much trouble I can stir up. -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

I went the other way once in a Sunday morning service some time ago. I made a parable using an ordinary LEGO brick, a LEGO minifig gun, and a 100% compatible 2x4 clone brick. I asked some children to point out which one was not a Lego part, and of (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Let me understand you teaching... You mean that you were convincing children that they belonged in church? (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

No he was basically showing dont judge a book by its spiritual cover. Its a sad an unfortunate thing that todays churches are regularly filled with people who look and act and seem like the nicest people around but in fact are anything but saved. (...) (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: The "LUGNET community" vs. the "LEGO community," and computer literacy

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:HDJoDL.156p@lugnet.com... (...) documentation (...) joining (...) I wasnt sure where to put this but since it came up here I thought this might work. I am an NNTP posting fan so when I found (...) (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: online communites

(...) Ive only been here a few weeks but I already see this atleast software wise. I'm a distributed systems solutions junkie of the old kind and to see: pov, mlcad, ldraw, l3p, l3pao, bricktrack, bricklink, brickset, peeron and who knows what else (...) (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

Hi David - (...) Snipped a good illustration :-) (...) I think it would be appropriate with followups set to lugnet.people (which I've done to this message). It would also be appropriate in lugnet.off-topic.debate, though from experience I seriously (...) (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) I was, in fact asking this question because I don't approve of children being dragged to church by their parents. Religion (or absemce of) should be a decision that we make alone, without the parental influence. We all know that people believe (...) (21 years ago, 20-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Wait a moment here...with the logic you're advocating you claim: Parents shouldn't drag their children into situations they may not be competent to decide for themselves. With such logic, you can also bring this argument to say that kids (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

First off, I'm joining in here because I agree with part of Terry's opinion. I'm not speaking for him, I just hate it when this kinda thing happens. I don't know him and am speaking only in regards to this particular topic. Now then... (...) I think (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Of course kids need an education or society would be generally uncultured, but I really don't think someone...oh say, ten years in age, should possess the legal right to deny to go to church, or for that fact, any legitimate social situation. (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) After they've been brainwashed since they first could understand words, you mean, by being forced to attend church up til then? We chose not to do that to our children. They can decide for themselves once they're old enough but for now we are (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) You are entitle to your opinion, but it's not a load of carp. School community groups, social gatherings or extracuricular activities are necessary to the good devellopment of a child. Sports, Plaing games, having fun, learning Life's lessons, (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Well, thank you, Lar, in the name of all Québécois, all BL shop owners, etc etc, to not judge them because you don't agree with me. Although this time, I do agree with your moral choice not to force religion onto your children. That was very (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Oh, Hi David. After reading the follow-ups on this thread, I realized you were that seller I greeted with a request to keep religion out of BrickLink a few months ago. Matt has used this incident as a way of "prooving" that I don't respect (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) The survival of the human race despite its own stupidity. (Okay, I guess that is kind of subjective) I have a better question for you. Why does lighting occur. Everyone I ask tells me the theory of how it occurs, but no one can tell be why it (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) OK. I usually don't get into debate, but this isn't the place to talk about religous beleifs. I'm glad you have an opinion, but I for one, am 14 years old and have been an official member of my church for a year now. I don't have a problem (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) //...// (...) Excuse me, sir! I agree to most of the things you say, but what is this mixing of politics and religion? Do you really think that being left-winged is equal to being an atheist or what? /Tore A Christian, anti-liberal and (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes: <snip> (...) I can take much, I can ignore many things, But Terry, You *are* Canadian. You said you have a Canadian passport. Why? Becaouse You *are* Canadian. Your hatred against anything you don't (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: I don't hate canadians. I am just not one. I don't have any prejudices against them, I am just not one. I'm not black either. Call me a racist because I say so. If you define identity, I mean the one (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes: <snip> (...) Amen to that! As for your questions still unanswered, like lightning and evolution... 100 years ago, Men didn't understand the first thing about many things that we can now explain (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Sean Devolites writes: snip (...) Then you are not dragged, you go willingly. Good for you. Your post is well phrased and very polite, Sean. You are very mature and I agree to your opinion that it is not the place to talk (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Then what would these children do, should they not be forced into church? Hang around at home with a babysitter? Sounds kind of anti-social to me. I wouldn't throw it to brainwashing, since constant preaching 'you will believe' would just (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Sports? Playing with friends? Name the social activity you want, it's there for your kids to do during church time for you. (...) Matt, do you really think that if you were born in India form Hinouist parents, you'd be a christian today? Oh, (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Exactly. (...) And how so? Religion serves several of the same merits as the aforementioned activities, including social interaction, faith in one's self and morality, which, outside of the church and its parables, might prove difficult to (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Dang, you're burning the midnight oil, Terry. (...) POVwise, I think it's a noble prospect to hold belief in such a religion. In fact, I have nothing against hinduists, buddhists or whatever the religion may be, so long as it involves (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) SNIP (I agree here to but have to cut my quotes.... (...) Well said. I agree, God Bless You, Nathan (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Trivia as to Quebec history aside (I bet I know more about Winona history than you do by the simple fact that I live there), the facts haven't been refuted--every single time your little separatist movement starts talking, your, and the ROC, (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Indeed. (...) You see my problem is that science has yet to answer 'Why' anything happens. There are lots of good theories on how things happen but not one single answer as to why. It is my observation that people believe by analyzing things (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Why is going to church a legal issue? That's about doing what your parents make you do (Yes, I know about emancipation age and so forth). (...) Glad to see you agree here with having a reason to eschew church. And most people we're talking (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) What is it with you and being social? :^P (...) There is plenty of stuff to prove the bible wrong. They're called fossils and really old rocks. -Stefan- (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Sports are NOT a necessary part of life. -Stefan- (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Mike--are looking for a metaphysical, over-arching "reason" behind the universe? What if there simply isn't one? Science isn't in the business of determining "why" things happen in this transcendent sense, nor should science be required to do (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: I would like to offer a formal apology to ot.debate and to Maggie C. in particular for this line: (...) Except! What am I, the product of home-schooling?!? [1] Dave! [1] Actually, home-schooling has (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) <and a bunch more witnessing> Please consider setting FUT somewhere else, it's starting to veer away from general interest, IMHO. I set FUT to ot.d but that may not be the right place to be, I dunno. (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) me (...) I think I'll just pray that you dont flame me for praying for you. :) Or maybe I should pray for the flame war? I have seen people come to Christ because of them. :) After that 8month several thousand post discusion/flamewar I was (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Wow, Dave! I was about to pounce, er, post but you did it for me! Must be a Higher Power at work! And I *did* notice an uncharacteristic carelessness in your general construction of that post-- so yep, I would say it's bedtime! Maggie C. (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Hi David - It's definitely not appropriate for lugnet.general, and might not be appropriate for fun.community, but .people should be OK. Hope this helps! -Tim (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) answer (...) feeling (...) How do we know there isn't one? (...) But that does not explain 'why' it happens, only how. And know you don't need to explain the details of electron bonds and such, I know the theory and have seen it work (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: ROFLMAO!!! You don't know squat about my province, your whole post was a big confused mess. First, we were forced in the Constitution in 1867. I presume your Anglo-Canadian don't tell you these facts (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) I don't care. I just didn't like your first reply. As an atheist, I too often feel that the general attitude of people is to allow people to talk about god, but if someone says God doesn't exist, then he's accused of every sin. It's unfair. We (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Here Stefan, judge by yourself if I was intolerant of simply trying to keep religion out of BL since, IMHO and many others' too, it's not the place for that : (URL) you can read the whole thread and see that many others felt like me, while (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Mike, form my POV, if GOD would have given us free will, he'd be the dumbest creature in the universe... For argument's sake, let's pretend what the Bible says is true. Free will to the ones who killed his son? To the ones who disobeyed to him (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) :-) Care to start a debate over that? Judging by my waist line, I'd say it is, because I'm going to live a lot shorter if I don't get in shape before the age of fifty! We could argue that nothing really matters, that apart from eating and (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

I decided no to read further than the first 2 lines. Respect is mutual. I offered a real friendly hand-shake, you answered back with god-talk, exactly what you know offends me. That's real nice of you. It just shows your level of respect for others' (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) Unfortunately, Terry, many folks can't have an intelligent conversation without refering to god in some way shape or form. They feel that there is a guiding force in their lives that they MUST push down other folks throats 24/7/365. I feel (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

Hi, Please don't take this as an attack... Just a different opinion : ) (...) I wouldn't say this is particularly fair. (Define intelligent conversation : ) ). The reason many Christians talk about God/Jesus so much is because He is their guidance, (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  La belle province

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes: <snip> I dunno, Quebec doesn't seem all that oppressed to me, but I only have an outside view. Consider yourself lucky you're "stuck" with a country that would probably at least let you secede (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) That would be analogous to asking "by what chemical (...) If we were to look at it from an opposing angle--how is the assessment that there *is* a God "behind the scenes" inferior to the view that the universe is there all by itself? Science (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Thank You Tim (was Re: For some Lego is a religous experience.)

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:HDs1JE.zuF@lugnet.com... (...) would (...) its (...) Tim has got it right- fun.community and .people sound fine to me but no doubt about it- please don't post on .general* My own advise, if (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) I was hopeing that you'd catch me on the Upper and Lower Canada in 1867--then I could go into why I love Winona's history. So the simple idea that you missed the historical fact that Upper and Lower Canada ceased to exist at the beginning of (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) I noticed the examples you gave were from nations where democracy was inexistent at the time of the breakup. So I ask: is a democratic nation immune to separatism? I mean, not the sociological phenomena in itself, rather the effective (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) I have no problem whatsoever with *anyone* saying what they believe, except... God is a --how did you put it? Oh right... admonished for bad language. If we can have a confluence of ideas without one being asserted as 'Upper' and others (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) <snip> (...) Doesn't Texas every once in a while talk about being 'separate' or is that just a figment of my imagination... Just wondering... Dave K (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) But the crux of my question: "what if there isn't a reason behind the universe?" I'm not, at this point, saying conclusively whether there is or isn't one; I'm asking what would be the impact to you if there weren't a reason. Here's another (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Not sure what you mean by immune in this context. Some democratic nations have resisted mightily. The US Civil War was at least partly about separatism. Other democratic nations have not resisted (Czechoslovakia seems to have peacefully (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Nope. They're the only (?? (1) ) state that joined by treaty after being an independent republic rather than being an original founder (that ratified the constitution as the means of joining) or a state formed from unorganised territory that (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) K, my misremembery--I thought I read somewhere about a decade ago that there were some Texans talking about forming a 'separatist' movement... (...) That is, until, as some Canadians talk about, Canada becomes the 51st state. Is Puerto Rico (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Whoops! I meant "nope" as in "nope, you're not misremembering", sorry about that. Texans talk about separatism more often than most, for sure. (...) More like 51st through 64th or whatever, one state for each province/territory I would (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) True, but the US was hardly even partly democratic at the time (except on paper)! Dave! (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Less democratic, yes. Less free (at least in the free states anyway)? Arguable. (Free society == democratic society) == false (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Sorry to be a buttinski here, but I just thought of something. What about the odds angle? Sometimes coincidences are too great; that is, that the odds of something happening a certain way are way beyond normal expectation. Say, for instance, (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Sure the free states were more free, if you were a white male (and a landowner, IIRC). But in terms of restrictive laws, I suppose you're correct. Dave! (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Sure the free states were more free, if you were a white male (and a landowner, IIRC). But in terms of personally restrictive laws, I suppose you're correct. Dave! (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: Whoops! That's the one I meant to delete. Dave! (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Puerto Rico occasionally holds referendums to decide whether to remain a territory (technically a commonwealth) or become a state. I found this on the web as an example: (URL) fairly sure PR would benefit greatly from becoming a state. In the (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Given the right conditions (and we are talking about an incomprehensibly high number of planets with varying conditions), it may well be that the odds against life happening somewhere are the longshots. Atoms and molecules like to form certain (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Well, in a democracy the people get to self-determine already - so one can argue about the use of having two states in similar circumstances taking similar decisions, when this only works to double institutions. The more states there are, the (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Hey, all are welcome! (...) Bruce addressed this already, but I thought I'd throw in my view as well. The first is the problem of precedent: when you estimate the odds of a bus accident, you can base it on known occurrences under similar (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I suppose they can suggest it to those predisposed to believing in a Greater Being, yes. But when you consider the # of stars in just our galaxy, and the # of planets that they can have (we find more and more every year, and as our technology (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thank You Tim (was Re: For some Lego is a religous experience.)

(...) in, (...) Well I dont preach dogma. I speak about a personal saving faith that is individual to each person. But thank you for removing general. I wasnt sure on it. In general (pun intended :) I leave the group decisions up to other people. I (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) After (...) It is unfortunate. Though I dont feel it is desperate I do have a built in need to talk about God that God has placed within me and as such getting to know me inherrently involves putting up with some level of it. If you really (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

I'm too newb to know what FUT is so if someone wants to enlighten me I'll make any adjustments that I can. We already briefly had the discussion about the locations of these discussions and it was generally sugested that lugnet.people and (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Heh. That used to mess me up, too. It means that you will tag your message to send Follow-Ups To another posting group. (...) In fairness to the readship, it's not yet a debate because you haven't yet moved to off-topic.debate. (...) It's a (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I'm not as compartmentalized a dork here as some, but with every post I read in this thread I only restrain myself from saying "take it to ot.debate" for the same reason given to you by others and by Dave! (...) The whole thing does belong (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Abednego, I think. When I was a kid, I was taught a little mnemonic; "shake the bed, make the bed, and to bed we go." Innocent then, but now I think it could have other implications ;') The Rev. might get a kick out of that one... I wonder (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) .debate doesn't suffer fools gladly, no. If you just waltz in there and tell people you have some Good News for them, you're not likely to get a warm reception. (...) and some silliness, and you have the common sense to tell which is which, (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) I can see that other's did feel that way, though I suppose that if it was their store, they have the right to do that unless management says otherwise. Just don't give them your business if you feel that way. -Stefan- (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

I do want to apologize for one thing. When I wrote that post with all the smileyes I was acting under the assumption that you would be comfortable with some friendly poking and jesting about the subject. Obviosly I was mistaken and you take this (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Well. I am not looking for a big heavy discussion. If the participants arent going to be friendly then I am not intersted and that is the general vibe that I hear about it. I am also not interested in deep theological discusions. I didnt come here (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Ohh, that was "you guys" not you specifically. Didnt mean to aim that at one person. :) Also wanted to mention as i am sure it will come up.. I am not worried about the defensability of my faith. I have no 'need' to defend it. Christ can defend (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Just for the record, that's more of an honorary appellation than a formal title of office. Dave! (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I motion we create the office of "The Pudd'nHead Dave!" -- it's much more vulgar that way. Don't forget the use of the definite article in the formal title. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Whoa. Did this thread stray or what? (Just look at the dots.) Tryin' to keep it light, -H.Man :) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: La belle province

(...) No oppressed socially, but politically. Our rights as humans are well respected, if that's what you mean. No problem there. (...) Yep, that's 100% true. We don't consider ourselves as martyrs. We are pretty happy about our situation, even if (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

Where to begin... (...) K, let's start here--Every elected PM in my lifetime (and most PM's before that) came from *one* province--guess which one. Political oppression? Where? (...) You consider yourselves 'speaking for Quebec' and at the same time (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Ya, I was wondering about that myself. Why is it that in all the other provinces, signs are in two languages but in (at least in some parts of) Quebec, they're only in one (french). I'm not talking about shop signs and suchlike, I'm talking (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: La belle province

(...) Actually I've never seen an English road sign in Quebec, but then again, I haven't been looking for one. (...) Like a woman, we're a mystery. (...) It means that, for most, you think a little harder before you hop in a car and drive to (...) (21 years ago, 25-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: posting setup

(...) I agree, and with good reason. Until just now I was under the impression that a paid membership WAS required. After seeing the link to the membership sign-up page, it never even occured to me that it wasn't required for posting. I've even had (...) (21 years ago, 27-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

In lugnet.general, David Schwanke writes: <snip> (...) <snip> Paul, for example [1]... ;-) [1] Acts 23:6 (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) <snip> Have you spoken to other adults who were given that option as children? My understanding is that the problem with this approach is that the child then has no foundation from which to base his decision. I don't have a source, but (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) I think you'd have a hard time demonstrating that's actually true. After all, the best "brainwashing" is one in which the victim thinks there was no undue influence whatever. (...) I suspect there are no such people anywhere on the earth, (...) (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I think it depends on what kinds of activities the club participates in. I understand that some clubs have meetings in the private homes of their members. I can totally see how you might want to exclude minors in such a situation (or at least, (...) (21 years ago, 7-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) My club (BayLUG) looked into doing a display at a SF con recently but their "art show" policies were more oriented towards items for sale, and had fees that we didn't want to pay, etc. So we decided against it. I've been trying to advance the (...) (21 years ago, 7-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I really like the idea of SIGs. There is more then trains to display. :) Although you get the basic 'where to display' problem, 'cause there are about a million train shows around but much fewer sci-fi displays and practically no Castle (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Any organization that allows both adults and minors to participate in the same capacity has to be _very_ careful about this sort of thing. It's not enough to simply know that nothing's going on. You need to make sure that noone has any reason (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) If you want to see more places to display MOCs, _make_ more places to display MOCs. Talk to local toy/hobby stores and/or malls and see if they'd be interested in having an event day where people could stop by and check out what's possible. (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) MichLUG is actually doing a show at a Comic Con the weekend after next. They approached us even. We will be setting up both a space/moonbase display as well as a castle display. The idea of creating a SIG (within MichLUG) for space or castle (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Weellllll.... you could fly to FL every month...or drive to Lansing, there are lots of Michiganders that are spaceheads. (To name a few...Trevor Pruden, Rick Hallman, Jason Spears, Scott Sanburn, Peter Guenther...) You should come to a meeting (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) You would be surprised where you can display. Soren and I were at a library last month discussing the finer points of building when they approached us to do a display (that's this weekend). I've also seen a display at the airport. (I don't (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Kyle Keppler lives near Jacksonville? Wow, I thought all the florida people were in Tampa. I'm in Tallahassee, while that is 3 hours away, I travel to jacksonville at least once a month (my wife's family lives there). I'd be more than happy to (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I've recently become aware of that, and I was actually hoping to make the last meeting, but noone replied to my request to carpool (well, Larry did, but only to say that he couldn't do it this time), and between driving myself halfway across (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Libraries are certainly a pretty safe way to hold meetings open to minors. At a library, you have the advantage that they hold most of the responsibility for any unaccompanied minors. A pizza parlor would be somewhat riskier, but still, the (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  SF Cons (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) MichLUG did thee SF cons, exhibiting in the art room at one of them. Though they were in the art room, and had artist badges, it was understood by the event organizers that they weren't there to sell stuff and therefore weren't a direct (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) "Abenib... Abeb... Adeni... "I'm Ben" :) Steve (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I need to watch more veggies, I'm gettin rusty. -Tim (the pirate who doesn't do anything) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Veggie Tales!! Re: For some Lego is a religous experience.

(...) Josh and the Giant Wall was the best outta all of 'em. Anything that infers Holy Grail gets my vote! Dave K (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Veggie Tales!! Re: For some Lego is a religous experience.

(...) Oh yeah! My favorite characters are the French Peas - I mean, Freedom Peas ;-) Won't you join me in my irritating little song? -Tim (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Veggie Tales!! Re: For some Lego is a religous experience.

(...) I think _Rack, Shak, and Benny_ (sp?) will always be my favorite. But the Monty Python references in _Josh and the Big Wall_ are wonderful. Gotta love the French Peas; "Zhjane! Stops zees crrrazy t'ing!" Steve (21 years ago, 25-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)