 General / 41436
41435  |  41437
Subject:
4101 and 4401 designer sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:55:57 GMT

I have been looking forward to getting 4101 Wild Collection and 4401 Little
Creatures ever since I first saw them due to the fact they made impressive
looking models with a useful selection of basic bricks.

Today they arrived from S@H, and I have to say I am not disappointed. 4101
in particular looks like being loads of fun. The instruction book is A4, 84
pages long and contains '63 creations' most of which fall in the
'creepy-crawly' category. Instructions are given for 20 of the models, while
the rest are shown as photographs, most from multiple angles, to facilitate
replication. Every type of creature imaginable is pictured: bees, fish,
lizards, scorpions, frogs, snails, crabs, birds, spiders, butterflies,
praying mantis, snakes, dragonflies to name but a few!

For youngsters the attraction of this is obvious. My 8 year old daughter was
virtually splitting the bags before I could get them out of the box!

For AFOLs, the attraction will be the piece selection, which is impressive.
There is nothing juniorised or single-purpose in the box. There's a good
selection of plates, slopes, curved slopes, a few bricks, loads of click
hinges, plates and axle holders and some 2x2->1x4 plate hinges.

Here are some pictures to whet your appetite:

or

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/DesignerSets/sp3100411.jp
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/DesignerSets/sp3100412.jp
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/DesignerSets/sp3100413.jp
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/DesignerSets/sp3100414.jp
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/DesignerSets/sp3100415.jp
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/DesignerSets/sp3100418.jp

If I get time, I'll do an inventory for peeron.

4401 is in many ways similar. The instruction book is A6, 44 pages with 17
creations: fish, birds and insects. Again there's no 'rubbish' in the box,
just a solid selection of useful parts in good colours, including plenty of
medium blue.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/DesignerSets/sp3100416.jp

I believe these sets will be a hit with young and old. Kudos to LEGO for
producing some sets not reliant on minifigs or licences with tons of
imagination and inspiration.

I just wish I had ordered the mecha ones as well now...

Huw