 General / 40571
Re: Raves for Lego Basketball
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.year.2003
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:46:28 GMT

In lugnet.reviews, Mark Papenfuss writes:
I also wrote up a review and put together a little video on how the figs
work, you can check it out on my site ( http://www.landofbricks.com ).

Mark - I just finished checking out your review of the NBA theme and as
always I enjoyed my visit to the Land of Bricks.  You continue to do a great
job with the topics you choose to focus on and the presentations you come up
with.  I've always appreciated your site as a source for info and pictures
concerning what's going on at LEGOLand, California.

Now folks who are interested in knowing a little bit more about this line of
Lego and the mechanics of the new figs should also head over to your site.
It gives a good explanation of how the players are built and your video
showing how they shoot the ball is excellent.  People who are intrigued by
our collective enthusiasm for Lego basketball should definitely go check out
the video and see how it works.

Of course the only thing I have to disagree with you about is your
impression that passing is impossible.  As you may have seen in my bad form
reply to my own post, I was able to complete some passes last night.  This
morning I found it even easier to make passes and actually managed to
complete 2 passes in a row - twice! I think that like with the shooting, the
passing gets easier with practice.

If I get the chance over the weekend I'm going to see if I can actually
manage to catch myself completing a pass on video.  If I do I'll upload it
to the web and post the address.

I haven't had a chance to check out the official Lego website yet but I was
wondering if they had come up with any kind of game structure for the sets.
I figure they probaly haven't and are leaving that up to the "kids" to
figure out.

I'm thinking about going ahead and drawing up some rules that would be based
on either using the 2 vs. 2 Street Ball court or one of the two 5 vs. 5
indoor courts.

And Greg, if we ever meet up I challenge you to a game (my record is 9 shots
in a row, lol)!!

As you see from above I'm definitely starting to get interested in some kind
of structured face-to-face Lego basketball games.  At this point I'm pretty
much sold on the idea of getting the big 3433 indoor arena set.  Then I can
really get down to some serious hoops.

Unfortunately Mark we're currently separated by a continent (remember I'm in
Virginia).  However, I'm itching to get back to LegoLand again and am
thinking that I'd either like to do that at Halloween this year or
BricksWest 2004.  When I do make it out there I'll definitely be sure to
bring my team along.

Speaking of - I've already decided I'm going to create my own Lego
Basketball League team using other fig torsos and stickers from the Soccer
team sets.  I've even picked out the name - The Richmond Rebels (big
surprise there).

Once I've got my 3433 set in place (to be converted into the Brickmond
Basketball arena) and my team in shape, I'll be issuing a challenge to take
on others at BrickFest 2003.

See you on the courts!

Greg