 General / 40307
Re: Intellectual property and the Internet (Was "Borrowed" Lamborghini Diablo design on Ebay.de)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 09:25:25 GMT

"Ray Silva" <socalray@cox.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Am I the only that is wondering why we are talking about this to the • detail
that we are since Lamborghini should be the one that should be worried • about
an image that I would venture to guess that they own a copyright to?

No you are not, and I am still waiting for a comment from Bram about WHAT he
is concerned.

Also, aren't there a very limited number of ways that something can be • built
using existing Lego bricks to depict something from the real world?

This is exactly the point. If you buy a set from LEGO you get a picture and
instructions. I assume that you may sell that set again dis- or assembled,
including all parts, instructinons aso.

Now you replace ONE (or more) part by one of different colour (because it is
lost; you read it quite often in eBay), set it up, take a picture of your
set and publish it to eBay (note the IPIX-tag).

A lot of questions araise already:
1.) May it be sold as set xxxx?
2.) Has anyones copyright been breached?
3.) May I sell it?
(2 and 3 apply somehow to Bram's problem, but we are still talking abaout an
original LEGO set)

Other example:
You take a mercedes and make a stretch version of it. Everyone will
recognize it as strech version of a mercedes, but mercedes denies the use of
mercedes "STAR" or tag for any company building that kind of car. Even
companies only including special equipment inside are not allowed to keep
the star and tag with it. But it is still a recognizable merecedes!

Do you see similarities?

Someone makes a more or less exact copy of  "Mona Lisa", signs (to express:
this is a copy) and sells it (for quite good money I expect)!?

SO sings (interprets) "Mammamia" from ABBA and makes money singing in bars
and shows?

And if
we all agree that this is the case, then it is very possible that 2 people
could come up with something similar, since they are both using the same
model to build from?

But OTOH a NEW song did already breach SO copyright due to a series of 8
(eight!) identical tones! (How many ways are there to place 8 tones in a
manner that it is "music" not "noise"?)

Kerry explained very detailed that copyright is difficult, even if he mixes
up pictures and ideas as Bram correctly states.

Bram, once again WHAT was your intention publishing that photo/idea?
Did _you_ ask Lambourghini?
Why are you so upset that SO (might have) copied your idea?

The auction is now finished at ~130$ (amazing! But people pay even more for
less!). Sell yours and see if any of the "loosers" likes to buy the
original!

I still do not see the point where I would be upset instead I would be proud
taht SO found your model worth to be copied (if he did).

BTW: perhaps it would be a good idea to create an EULA similar to GPL (known
from software) for instructions, but imitation can not be covered by any
right!

Regards
Matthias