 General / 39903
39902  |  39904
Subject:
NELUG at First annual Sleigh Bell Festival / Festival of Trees in Boston MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 04:38:41 GMT

Followups to org.us.nelug

NELUG participated in the first annual Sleigh Bell Festival in Boston
Massachusetts from 12/06/02 - 12/08/02. This event included a Festival of
Trees to benefit The National Kidney Foundation and in particular children
with Kidney Disease In the New England region.

NELUG was originally asked just to display our layout at the event but as we
learned more about the event we decided to sponsor a tree of our own. This
included a contribution to the National Kidney Foundation as well as
decorating a tree with LEGO which was auctioned off to the highest bidder
all inclusive. The ornaments themselves were donated by NELUG through both
purchases and using the NELUG LEGO collection (Except for the NGLTC and
MichLTC ornaments, Thanks guys!). The train under the tree was donated with
contributions from 10 members of the group.

The event was somewhat lightly traveled but being a first annual event that
wasn't a huge surprise to the organizers of the event. The organizers loved
us however and have made initial offers to have us do the event next year as
the center piece attraction (sorry Frosty). Of course we still have to make
the group decision on committing to this event or not. Our main issue is
their is a Greenberg train show in close proximity to this show which may
cause a conflict. In that case we will have to decide which event we will
attend.

This layout is nearly identical to the recent Greenberg show with the
exception of some added Holiday cheer. As you can see we were right next to
our tree. We were also right next to Santa as well which was fun to watch.

Enjoy...(1)

http://www.nelug.org/FestivalofTrees02/index.htm

Eric Kingsley

(1) Photography for this event was difficult because of the Tatooine effect(2)

(2) Because of the "mood lighting" for the show we pretty much only had 2
spot lights lighting the layout.  This caused lots of shaddows which made
photography difficult.  Many of these photos were taken by Todd Lehman who
took as many as 800 photos durring the show.  Needless to say I paired it
down a bit.