 General / 39869
Re: Jake - Xmas "Loose Brick Holiday Tree" pack problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:07:05 GMT

I called, and after getting the rep to load my scans of the instructions and
explaining the issue, they are sending out the parts. Stellar support from Consumer
Affairs, as usual.

However...

JAKE!

You might want to make sure they get the inventory corrected online and for this
Bulk Pack asap, so that they don't run into this issue over and over.

Tom Stangl wrote:

Haven't tried calling yet, but will do so soon.

I scanned the directions that came in the pack:
http://www.vfaq.org/Directions/Holiday_Tree/Holiday_Tree-01.jpg
http://www.vfaq.org/Directions/Holiday_Tree/Holiday_Tree-02.jpg

As you can see from:
http://www.vfaq.org/Directions/Holiday_Tree/Holiday_Tree-Mixup.gif
each of the 4 branches clearly contains 2 1x4 green plates, meaning 8 total for
the tree, yet the inventory shown on
http://www.vfaq.org/Directions/Holiday_Tree/Holiday_Tree-02.jpg only shows 4.

They must have taken it directly from:
http://www.lego.com/eng/holidays/build.asp?id=tree
The problem is, THAT inventory is also incorrect.
Steps 4 and 7 each show a 1x4 green plate needed for each branch.

Mike Walsh wrote:

I picked one of these up at the Chicago LEGO Store last Wednesday night (the
only one they had too).  Mine was also missing parts (24 1x2 green plates
and 7 1x1 white tiles).  I called Consumer Affairs and described the item
(the woman I spoke with had never heard of it).  None of the information on
the pack (bar code, name, etc.) triggered their computer.  However, Iin true
LEGO fashion, they are sending me the missing parts.  I expect to see them
in a few days.

Tom - did you try calling consumer affairs?

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

Jake,

I just returned from a trip to LLC, and on the way there, we hit the
Lego store in Downtown Disney.  I was hoping that if you hadn't heard of
the following, you could look into it before it causes too many
headaches for Consumer Affairs.

One item they had there was a "Brick Grab Bag" labeled "Loose Brick
Holiday Tree" on the price sticker, which contained parts and directions
for a very neat tree.  Since it had some nice pieces (1x1 white tiles!),
I picked up 12 of them.

I just went to build one, and ran into some problems.  The directions
list an inventory of the parts included in the pack and, for the most
part, they matched the contents of the bag.  Which is a real problem...

If you look at the directions step by step, you need EIGHT 1x4 green
plates to build the tree.  The inventory list, and bag contents, contain
FOUR.

Problem 1 - So I had to tear open all 12 bags to check them all.  Yes,
all 12 had 4 plates, but needed 8.  So I pieced together 6 complete
sets.

Problem 2 - someone must have been half asleep when they were filling
the bags, as one set was missing the entire 20 1x3 green plate
inventory.

Problem 3 - all 12 sets had a 1x1 white round brick in the contents,
while the inventory list and directions show a brown brick (it's a tree
trunk, where on earth did they decide white would work as a
substitute?).

Problem 4 - I was missing a few bits here and there from sets.  After
opening them all and cannibalizing one set to complete the other 11
(minus the 1x4 green plates mentioned above), it's nowhere near complete
enough to build the tree.

I'm bringing this to your attention because I wouldn't want to be the
parent of a child that got the set, and tried to build it.  They simply
can't.  And if this pack is headed to LLC, you're going to have a lot
more upset children/parents soon.

Also, since this is a somewhat custom set, does Consumer Affairs have a
scan or a copy of the instructions?  I need to call them to get
replacements for all the missing parts.  Out of the 12 packs, I need the
following to actually complete them so they look like the pics (and the
ones on display in the store):
48 green 1x4 plates
20 green 1x3 plates
2 green 1x2 plates