 General / 38458
38457  |  38459
Subject:
Expansion of Mosaic Line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:26:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Just a few suggestions here concerning the Mosaic line.  Completely from the
back of my head, I've been thinking about it for about 20 minutes now.

It seems like a great idea to me to expand the mosaic line.  (as much as you
may think it is customizable, there is so much more that could be done).

1) Colors.  No, not just greyscale anymore.  Just as there are 3 versions of
grey currently, there should be 3 versions of many colors.  For example,
they already have all three colors for red (e.g. dark red, red, sand red.)
They could take advantage of many of the new "sand" colors, and "maersk
blue” (I think is called...).  Tans and browns could possibly be considered
as different hues, still listed together.  Seeing as lego jumped to the idea
of insanely colored bionicle (and of course the masks), it shouldn't be too
difficult to produce new (or just more of) unique colors for the mosaic line.

2) A mosaic set that you can buy off the shelves.  A "starter" mosaic set.
Very similar to the currently available kit, with baseplate and slopes and
separator.  It would include many more of each color. (I'm thinking enough
to create just about anybody's face or image that fits on a 48x48, Please
don’t mention the fact that the set would have to come with over 8000 pieces
for enough of each color to cover the whole baseplate – That idea is not
fully baked yet.  ).  The set would also come with a CD.  Just install the
mosaic program and use a picture scanned into your computer.  The program
would be similar to Brickolizer, except with some extra features (such as
making larger mosaics, more like Lugnet’s Mosaic Maker – where you set the
size of the image and what colors you want to use).  Then, kids could print
out the ready-made instructions in a matter of seconds.  This way, kids can
create as many different images as they want without buying another mosaic
kit every single time.  "Unlimited Possibilities!" The starter kit could
come with plain greyscale 1x1's I suppose. Price would have to be higher
with the CD and more 1x1’s.  More like $50. When or if the kids want more,
they (or parents) would buy...(Which brings me to my next point)...

3) Expansion packs.  Sold separately, expansion packs could include an
entire set of a type of color (e.g. red pack would include the dark red,
red, and sand red), or possibly a couple of different types of colors for
variety, or maybe just a single hue of a type of color.  Bought in
multiple(s) of 90.  $5 or $10, no more.  Sold from Lego Direct and/or S@H.
Or, just like those bionicle Krana (?) mask packs (you know what I'm getting
at) mosaic expansion kits could be sold on the shelves.

4) As far as those X-large grey baseplates go, they can’t be $10 and people
aren’t going to buy another starter kit just for the baseplate.  Maybe Lego
should just make the prices of their baseplates a little cheaper, more like
$5 for the X-large.

5) That’s all I really have to say.  Of course a lot of my opinions are a
bit on the AFOL-biased side (much of bulk ordering and expansion ordering
occurs with adults as far as I am aware of), after viewing so many attempts
at full color large mosaics made by adults.  (but I’m not an adult, in case
you’re wondering).

Comments are appreciated, but like I said, most of this was just from the
back of my head and a lot of it isn’t fully baked yet.

Thanks!
Jake