 General / 37875
Re: Quality Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:14:18 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

Hey Y'all:

My NLSO was building the Armada ship when she realized that it was missing a
single yellow 1x2 modified tile with a single stud on top.  In addition to
the missing brick, she also discovered the following element left over:

http://www.ozbricks.com/blaktron/misc/nohelmet.jpg

No, that's not a floating brain or even an overcooked sea jelly -- it is
none other than a very badly formed spanish helmet.  It's a good thing that
we actually had the necessary helmets already or this would have been the
second problem with the set.

Oooh, icky....

Some other comments she made had to do with the lack of modularity inherent
in the design of the ship hulls.  This was followed by some discussion about
how maybe the hulls should have been split in the middle allowing for wider
ships to be built.

I'm not convinced split hulls would really be that good. I haven't
played with my Coko parts yet (which do have a split hull). I suspect
split hull ships will be less sturdy (affecting play value). I also feel
that you really can't widen the ships too much without the bow and stern
looking silly (they already are way too tubby).

Of course once you go larger than the wide hulls, you have plenty of
space to do good looking things with brick sculpting (especially if you
go Lindsay's route of studs out and sculpt with plates).

So in the end, I think the hull sections are fine as they are.

And even though this was a small set, she wanted extra
minis (a custom spanish princess and pirate wench) and a monkey with a sabre
before she considered it finished.  I can be blamed for the last bit, having
previously told her of the recurrent "monkey with weapon" motif.

Sadly the number of minifigs in sets has been dropping. Obviously this
is a cost issue. What's a bummer is that we no longer have minifig sets
(the best solution in my mind, keep the set cost reasonable, but give
those who are willing to pay for the minis the option of getting as many
as they need).

Frank