 General / 36380
36379  |  36381
Subject:
Aluminum 2x4 bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:19:44 GMT

[Please set the follow-up to the appropriate group]

I'm currently taking a CNC class at school, so for a little side project I
machined a couple 2x4 bricks out of aluminum on the EMCO PC 50 machines we
have.  Since I wanted to use a 1/8" flat end mill only, I had to make a few
changes to the design, most notably in the tubes, but the design remains
functionally the same.  The other option to the partial tubes would be
connections between the tubes.  Which do you think would look better?
Here are some pics:

Since the design I based the part on is based on 1/16" = 4 LDU, the parts are a
tiny bit too small, so it's kind of difficult to attach a regular Lego brick to
the bottom.  Attaching to the top works fine though.  I may take some calipers
to a brick and try to improve the dimensions a bit...unless someone has already
done that?

Anyway, I can probably make more of these if people are interested.  How much
would you pay for an aluminum brick?  A brass brick?  A brass or aluminum brick
with a keyring?
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu