 General / 36146
36145  |  36147
Subject:
Suggestion for Cool Lego Site of the Week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:16:17 GMT

I've followed a few discussions lately about the demise of CLSOTW (one of my
favorite features of LUGNET before it fell into disarray).  It seems to me
the "problem" in re-doing it was that Todd felt he had to exert some manual
control over the voting, so that the ballot box couldn't be stuffed.  I feel
that if we put our heads together, we can come up with a workable solution
that doesn't require too much of the administrator's time.

What I suggest is this (in rough draft form):
  1) Instead of taking nominations and then voting, the process would simply
be done by nomination via e-mail.  Or, another way to think about it is that
it's always a write-in vote.
  2) The vote e-mails would follow a specific format.  I suggest the subject
line begins with "[CLSOTW]" followed by the URL of the web site.  The body
of the message would contain contact information for the "owner" of the website.
  3) We would keep the old system of once nominated, a site remains on the
votes list.  Something like each week the top cumulative vote-getter is the
CLSOTW, and all other votes roll over to the next week.  Winners are
responsible for writing their own "blurb" for the web page.
  4) Only one vote per e-mail address.  Perhaps we could set up some kind of
registration process for voting, to discourage voting more than once.  Maybe
limit to LUGNET members (I guess I'd have to join...) (Suggestions VERY
welcome here)
  5) If anyone objects to using the name Cool Lego Site of the Week, a
suitable replacement name will be chosen by the LUGNET community.  How about
Nifty ABS Building Block Web Page of the Half-Fortnight?!
  6) If weekly updates prove to be too cumbersome, the process could become
a two-week or half-monthly processs.

Anyway, that's my start at it.  I figure, with a smart e-mail program, much
of the vote-counting could be automated.  Of course, I haven't tried it, so
it may be immensely difficult.  And before anyone gets snippy, yes, I'll
volunteer to administer this, provided I can find the _free_ web space and
POP3 e-mail service to run it.

I welcome your constructive suggestions.  I have not intended to step on
anyone's toes, and if this process is already in the works beyond the "we're
going to fix it" stages, the so much the better.

James Wilson
Dallas, TX