 General / 34657
34656  |  34658
Subject:
Selling MOC Instructions? Your Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:06:37 GMT

Has anybody ever sold just instructions for an MOC they'll built.

If so are there any legal ramifications of doing so, especially in the
context of using LDraw/MLcad to generate the images?

Due to an overwhelming demand for two of my MOC outside the Lugnet community
I've been pondering doing this.

Why charge for the instructions you ask?  Well I'd like to think of it as a
way to support my hobby much in the same way people use Brickbay shops to
support there's.  It is definitely not a sustainable source of income by any
means.  This is also not a simple set of instructions either.  There are
about 500~600 parts and you'll probably find 10 bricks in there.

Here's the model:

If I do decide to do this, I intend to try to add as much value as possible.
I'll be creating interactive instructions using either Macromedia Director
or Flash and burning them onto pocket CD's.  Fully designed case, MOC
stickers, and reference pictures too.

In any case I wanted to ask everybody here on their thoughts.  I'm kinda
torn between just giving them out and charging for them.  It's always nice
to have a means to support an expensive hobby, at the same time it's also
cool to get things for free.

Let the discussion begin and thanks in advance.

sun