 General / 33904
Re: Lego Scaling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 23:21:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joseph H. Cardana writes:
I know I'm behind the power curve here.  If I wanted to build a ship, to
scale of the minifigs, How do I determine appropriate lengths and heights?
My friend Jennifer stated, to build an aircraft carrier to scale, it would
have to be 15 feet long. I want to model my '67 Impala into legos, to scale
of the minifig, what are the formulas?

Ever the adamante for scale, I'll put in $.02.

Minifigs are silly. They're hideously disproportionate to real people. Not
to mention that people themselves are often hideously disproportionate to
each other :)

Going by "average" human height, width, and depth (not intelligence, you
nit-pickers out there!), you get varying results:

Based on:
Height:
7.6mm = 1 minifig foot (almost 1 stud)
Minifigs are about 2'1" wide (not including arms)
Minifigs are about 1'1" thick

Width(side-to-side):
13.7mm = 1 minifig foot (almost 1.75 studs)
Minifigs are about 3'1" tall
Minifigs are about 7" thick

Depth(front-to-back):
10mm = 1 minifig foot (1.25 studs)
Minifigs are about 4'1" tall
Minifigs are about 1'7" wide

I generally go by height, with anywhere between: 7mm and 8mm per minifig
foot, making minifigs between 6'0" and 5'3" tall respectively. The popular
reason for using 8mm being (of course!) that 1 stud == 8mm. If your model is
way too big, go for the 7mm rule of thumb-- that'll make it a bit smaller,
and save you a smidgen of bricks. And if you want more detail, go closer to
the 8mm. Give and take.

15 feet long (human scale) would therefore be between 571 and 653
minifig-scale feet (I think that's a little short for an aircraft carrier?)

No idea on the Impala's measurements... I'm reading (some link off a Google
search) that the '72 was stretched to 219.9" in length, which would be
between 16 and 18 studs long (wow, that's huge car!) And I'd guess 5-6 studs
wide? (says 2000 Impala is 200" long, making it 14.5-16.5 studs long (still
big, but better)

DaveE