 General / 33285
33284  |  33286
Subject:
The Evolution of a Lego Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:06:21 GMT

Hello everyone. Haven't posted here for a long time, but I've still been
hanging around checking things out. Well, I came across some old pictures of
some models of mine, and it gave me a great idea. I hade pictures dating
back to about 1997 of a Ferrari model I have been building on and off since
then, so I decided to make a little photo history of the evolution of the
model. You can see it by going here:

Ferrari 1 & Ferrari 2 (Beta 1)--The first two pics are of the original model
from 1997. This was when I started building more than usual... (never really
had a "dark age", just a "slow age") I had always wanted to make a Ferrari
car, so this was my first attempt. I thought it was good for the time, and
without me using Lugnet yet, I had no other models to look at. It's pretty
crude, but I was very proud of the windshield, which remains very untouched
to this day.

Ferrari 3 & Ferrari 4 (Beta 2)-- The next step of the model. I made the
front end more carlike, added fenders to the front, and lowered the rear
axle. This was when I first expirimented with the gradual inclenation (?) of
bricks to achieve roundness. This model is more of a Technic scale rather
than a huge mini-fig scale. I also gave it a grill :-)

Ferrari 5 & Ferrari 6 (Beta 3)-- What I thought was the last step. On this
model, I tilted the windshield in more which took me forever to figure out,
and I also changed the front headlights. I fooled around with a spoiler, and
did more interior shots. I like the front a lot better on this model. If you
look closely, you can even see the brick where the Ferrari logo is supposed
to go!

Ferrari 7 & Ferrari 8 (Alpha)-- The final version (at least for now) of the
model. I gave this model a hard top which I have wanted to do since the
beginning. I improved the structural integrity of the windshield, which was
pretty weak on the beta 3 model. The other major addition is functional
stearing. I had to dismantle the front end completely in order to do this. I
had to make stearing for a 14 wide model, which was extremely hard because I
had to make my own method instead of using a pre made piece. Once I
accomplished that, I put it all back together and added some scoops and more
fender roundness to the front. I then moved on to the back where I improved
the wing and added an opening hood to reveal the Ferrari engine. I suppose
this model resembles a Ferrari F-40 now, but maybe more of a Lotus Esprit. I
also added tailpipes and a license plate for added detail. The doors open on
this build also.

I will probably keep on adding to this model, but since I just started
college, it will be hard. I hope you enjoy looking at the evolution of my
Ferrari as much as I had bulding it! You can see more pictures of the Alpha
version by going here:

And you can see all of my models at my website here:

http://members.aol.com/swatlego

Hope you like it, and as always, comments are very welcome.

~Nick Crocco
http://members.aol.com/swatlego