 General / 30597
Re: Feedback and the role it plays in the modeling process (was Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 16:34:00 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet
I admit I am one of the people that comments on the work of regulars
(in my genres of interest anyway... for instance I always have
something to say when James Mathis posts a new model) but sometimes
overlooks the newcomers and their work.

That's natural, but it's also a driving force behind the 'we' and 'them'
syndrome (don't really know how to express this in english).

I'd say that Lugnet may be perceived as a quite 'close' community (or
communities - your 'regulars' of course doesn't include all regular posters,
but those you choose too react to), with quite a high threshold for a
newcomer/outsider.

As I haven't participated in any other communities on the net, only normal
usenet newsgroups, I don't know if this is the normal thing, netwise, but
judging from my experience IRL, it's human nature at play here: We all want to
feel part of 'something', especially a (more or less) central part. 'Patting
each others backs' is quite essential in keeping a group together - as we
can't pick fleas from each other like the other monkeys do.

This means, when a group gets too large. too many feel 'outside' of the
center, sub-groups begin to appear, and in the end the big group will fall
apart...

Lugnet has grown too big to be a place where you know (and perhaps even like)
everybody, all the compartmentalization (sp?) helps in creating the sub-groups
too.

This really should be discussed over a couple of beers, with real humans,
instead of newsgroups, I think, so I'll stop here and go out to the barbecued
hamburgers that are waiting for me...

All IMO, of course,
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden